2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Odd flasher behavior.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2020, 12:27 AM
Myles
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd flasher behavior.

I have a 1999 Dodge Dakota Sport, 3.9l V6. Had issues with my brake lights, wouldn't engage (light up). Went through everything I could (bulbs, sockets, tracing the wiring harness, fuses) before inspiration struck (read: I felt like an idiot) when I found the brake switch.

Now while I was having brake light issues, I also had NO turn signals, but DID have hazard lights. Once I replaced the few blown fuses and the brake switch, voila! Brake lights work! But turn signals still didn't work.

Changed the bulbs once again, and either I had a bad bulb or a short somewhere that wasn't showing draw. But they started working.

Only one issue now. Anyone who has this particular truck should have a similar, SLOW, chick-CHICK-chick-CHICK turn signal indicator speed (sorry I'm that guy that tries to describe vehicle issues audibly.) But now my indicators try to drop beats. Varies randomly without rhyme or reason, between fast and slow clicks (the lights reflect the intermittent indicator speeds) and I am at my wit's end. My brother describes the blinking as a light show whenever I turn them on. Every so often they'll return to normal for a spell, but they go right back to this random behavior.

What should I do? Don't really have the funds to take it to the dealer (only place local that I've been told can diagnose this issue) and they want ERRYTING YOU GOT for about an hours worth of diagnostic work.

Thanks for ANY input.

(P.S. - I DID replace the flasher relay back when I thought THAT could be the issue with my other lights not working. Should I try the old relay?)

Old 05-16-2020, 10:10 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Stuff the old relay back in there, see if anything changes.

Old 05-16-2020, 11:38 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 161 Likes on 148 Posts

Are all 4 front bulbs working? Sounds like one is dropping out. Does speed only change for one side or both?

Being a 1999, you should have an EP27 flasher relay or similar. 2000 and newer use a much different combination flasher. Did you replace it with an EP27 or EP27L ?

For the combination flasher: Standard flash is 1Hz, bulb-out flash is 2hz, and is digitally controlled so that chaining extra bulbs on will not slow the flash rate like the older analog flashers.

I do not know if the EP27 is digital or analog.

Old 05-19-2020, 03:11 PM
Myles
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by magnethead
Are all 4 front bulbs working? Sounds like one is dropping out. Does speed only change for one side or both?

Being a 1999, you should have an EP27 flasher relay or similar. 2000 and newer use a much different combination flasher. Did you replace it with an EP27 or EP27L ?

For the combination flasher: Standard flash is 1Hz, bulb-out flash is 2hz, and is digitally controlled so that chaining extra bulbs on will not slow the flash rate like the older analog flashers.

I do not know if the EP27 is digital or analog.

RESPONSE: All lights ARE working, in all sockets. It's just the turn signals flash in erratic patterns. There doesn't seem to be any consistency to the flash speed. And it does it to both sides, both independently and when I engage the hazards. I've been away from the truck since I originally posted. I'll try the original relay tomorrow and post again.

Old 05-19-2020, 05:49 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Have any LED bulbs in there?

Old 05-19-2020, 07:38 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by Myles
I have a 1999 Dodge Dakota Sport, 3.9l V6. Had issues with my brake lights, wouldn't engage (light up). Went through everything I could (bulbs, sockets, tracing the wiring harness, fuses) before inspiration struck (read: I felt like an idiot) when I found the brake switch.

Now while I was having brake light issues, I also had NO turn signals, but DID have hazard lights. Once I replaced the few blown fuses and the brake switch, voila! Brake lights work! But turn signals still didn't work.

Changed the bulbs once again, and either I had a bad bulb or a short somewhere that wasn't showing draw. But they started working.

Only one issue now. Anyone who has this particular truck should have a similar, SLOW, chick-CHICK-chick-CHICK turn signal indicator speed (sorry I'm that guy that tries to describe vehicle issues audibly.) But now my indicators try to drop beats. Varies randomly without rhyme or reason, between fast and slow clicks (the lights reflect the intermittent indicator speeds) and I am at my wit's end. My brother describes the blinking as a light show whenever I turn them on. Every so often they'll return to normal for a spell, but they go right back to this random behavior.

What should I do? Don't really have the funds to take it to the dealer (only place local that I've been told can diagnose this issue) and they want ERRYTING YOU GOT for about an hours worth of diagnostic work.

Thanks for ANY input.

(P.S. - I DID replace the flasher relay back when I thought THAT could be the issue with my other lights not working. Should I try the old relay?)
Oh, the TRUCK has a flasher problem. I thought maybe someone was wandering around with a long rain coat.

I'd swap the turn signal and hazard flasher units and see if the trouble moves too. If it does, you have a bum flasher unit. I believe you need to have a solid state unit.

Last edited by ol' grouch; 05-19-2020 at 07:40 PM. Reason: i kant spel wurth a durn

Quick Reply: Odd flasher behavior.