2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

How do you get o rings out of the radiator? Also where can you get the orings?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2020, 01:12 AM
Barcelona28
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you get o rings out of the radiator? Also where can you get the orings?

2005 dodge Dakota. New radiator from rock auto. Leaking trans fluid from the radiator connections. How do you replace the orings? I have heard use a pick and pulled them out. Where do you get the orings from? Dealer says you have to get a whole new one or go to Ace hardware store to match them up. I don't know.

Old 05-30-2020, 10:17 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 169 Likes on 154 Posts

pick and ace are best options.

Old 05-30-2020, 04:17 PM
Vimes
Veteran
Received 63 Likes on 57 Posts

I just had that exact same problem on my Colorado work truck. Installed a new radiator from NAPA, started leaking at the trans cooler line. Turned out that the black sheet metal bolt that holds the fitting to the radiator was the problem, not the cooling line O-ring. But, it looked exactly like the O-ring was leaking. I tightened up the bolt, and it sealed right up. The one that was leaking was barely finger tight. If this is the case with yours, it doesn't take much to tighten it down so don't crank on it too hard. Just a firm twist with a wrench, maybe 30-40 ft lbs at most. These parts are delicate where tightening bolts is concerned.

Old 05-31-2020, 07:26 PM
Barcelona28

Thank you both. Going to check both things just in case. Been dripping a lot.

Old 06-01-2020, 11:59 AM
Zingo
Professional
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Also be very careful not to cross thread the fitting into the radiator when you put it back together.
In my experience it can be sort of difficult to get it lined up just right because of the strange angle you have to work with. It should thread in part way with your fingers if you got it right.
I just replaced a radiator in an '03 Durango 4.7l and it look me like 10 minutes of frustration before getting one of the fittings started. I felt kind of dumb for taking so long but that's just the way it goes sometimes and it has to be perfect.

Old 06-01-2020, 12:40 PM
Barcelona28

Ok. The person who is helping to do this says I have to get a new radiator. The rock auto ones don't line up always going leak. But I disagree with him i want to try the bolts and orings just to see if does stop leaking hopefully fixed. Before I spend money again.

Old 06-01-2020, 04:14 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Barcelona28
Ok. The person who is helping to do this says I have to get a new radiator. The rock auto ones don't line up always going leak. But I disagree with him i want to try the bolts and orings just to see if does stop leaking hopefully fixed. Before I spend money again.
I'd be taking that up with Rock Auto to get a refund or return credit.

A little tidbit that I learned while working on my truck. When draining the radiator.... you can access the draincock by sticking your hand through the bumper cutout shown here. It drains down into the inside of the bumper, so stick a turkey pan underneath.

Old 06-01-2020, 07:12 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 169 Likes on 154 Posts

I only use CSF radiators or higher quality than that.

Old 06-02-2020, 08:17 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by magnethead
I only use CSF radiators or higher quality than that.
Likewise. I've got the CSF 3516. Core thickness is 1.63" vs 1.25" of the typical aftermarket. It replaced my OEM heavy duty cooling radiator that came with the tow pkg. I've never even come close to overheating even when towing cars in the summer.

Old 06-06-2020, 09:45 PM
Barcelona28

Thank you all of you. It's fix now! Thank you again

Quick Reply: How do you get o rings out of the radiator? Also where can you get the orings?