2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Engine sputter question.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2020, 11:40 PM
harkdodge
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine sputter question.

I did a forum search on this topic before starting a new thread, but could not find a prior thread that matched my problem.
I have a 2001 Dakota 4.7 with 130,000 miles on it. Automatic transmission 4x4.
Twice recently I have experienced the following:

I start out in the morning and the truck immediately fires right up and runs beautifully. The engine is nice and smooth, the tack idles nicely right a 600 RPM with absolutely zero tack needle flutter. I run around town and do a few errands within a few miles of each other. I'm running at a variety of speeds from 25 to 50Mph and the truck is performing like a champ.....and then it happens...
I come out of a store and get in the truck and the starter spins over the engine and the truck starts but it....chokes...coughs....sputters and spits and tries to die, but I can baby the throttle and keep it running and this dose this for about 10 to 15 seconds and then gradually smooths out like nothing happened. Its then back to normal idle at 600 rpm with a rock solid tack needle with no flutter and back to running like a champ. I put it in gear and drive off like nothing had happened.
Today, a few days later I went out to run some errands and exactly the same scenario took place for a second time. The truck started out in the morning running like a champ and then after starting and stopping the truck at a few different errand stops it did exactly the same thing when I went to start the truck again.
This is not a daily driver truck. I drive it on occasion, sometimes two or three times a week at the most. But it does get some in-town and highway driving.
I am somewhat mechanically inclined but I don't know where to start a diagnosis. I have always been told to check the simple stuff first, but need some direction as to what could be causing this intermittent spit and sputter.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Harkdodge

Old 06-16-2020, 12:26 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 169 Likes on 154 Posts

Is it all hot-starts or only some?

Usually a hot-start issue is rooted in the ignition or fuel system (i know, so specific). With the 4.7, we can almost completely rule out the secondary ignition system because it is extremely unlikely for all 8 coils to act up at once.

We can also partially rule out fuel system, because vapor-lock isn't NEAR as common on EFI as it was on carbs.

1) Crank and/or Cam sensor
2) Fuel Pressure
3) Oxygen Sensor heating elements

And that's literally what we have it narrowed down to, at least in my mind, when it comes to hot-start issues.

Old 06-16-2020, 12:30 AM
Zingo
Professional
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are there any codes? If you do that would be gold. Whatever is happening is not likely to be a mechanical issue, more of an electrical/sensor type thing.

It sounds similar to "heat soak". A quick google search will teach you a little what that means.

I've never heard of these trucks having that problem though so.... I don't know. Just what comes to mind initially.

Last edited by Zingo; 06-16-2020 at 12:33 AM.
Old 06-16-2020, 01:41 AM
Vimes
Veteran
Received 63 Likes on 57 Posts

Sounds like maybe a bad injector or two is flooding the engine. For short errands, it would flood the cylinder (or cylinders, if more than one is bad) and it has to try and burn off the fuel. When it sits overnight, any bled off fuel will have evaporated off. Pull the dipstick and smell the oil, if you've got an injector bleeding off enough to cause rough running it may also be contaminating the oil. If it has a gassy smell to it, that would point more towards this being a problem.

Old 06-16-2020, 08:06 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

When is the last time the plugs were changed or gaps checked?

Old 06-16-2020, 03:05 PM
harkdodge
Rookie

Originally Posted by magnethead
Is it all hot-starts or only some?

Usually a hot-start issue is rooted in the ignition or fuel system (i know, so specific). With the 4.7, we can almost completely rule out the secondary ignition system because it is extremely unlikely for all 8 coils to act up at once.

We can also partially rule out fuel system, because vapor-lock isn't NEAR as common on EFI as it was on carbs.

1) Crank and/or Cam sensor
2) Fuel Pressure
3) Oxygen Sensor heating elements

And that's literally what we have it narrowed down to, at least in my mind, when it comes to hot-start issues.
The truck is throwing no codes at all.
It was throwing a code a while back which was fixed when I replaced the crank and cam sensors.
I bought the truck used five years ago when it had 120,000 miles on it.
I have done nothing with the plugs or wires.
It came with a K&N air filter which is clean as a whistle.
Fuel pressure was mentioned. Could it be a fuel filter? I did replace it when I first got the truck. Could it be a fuel pump that is on its way out?
The problem only happens with a hot engine. Never on a stone cold engine at start up.

Old 06-16-2020, 07:30 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

What brand crank sensor?

Old 06-16-2020, 08:55 PM
harkdodge
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
What brand crank sensor?
Both the cam and crankshaft sensor were Echlin. I bought it from my local NAPA parts dealer.
When I replaced those the truck was starting and running beautifully all the time. I had no sputter and stumble at a hot start up like I am now.
The engine was throwing a code and the engine would sometimes just stumble as I was driving and then it got worse to where the engine would just die in traffic. I found that if I just sat in traffic for about 10 minutes the truck would start right back up and sometimes go a week with zero problems and then suddenly stumble or die again.
I replaced both the crank and cam sensors and the code disappeared and the problem completely went away.

Old 06-16-2020, 09:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Something is heat soaking, and causing issues? Is it worse if it sits when hot for a bit, then you try and drive it?

Might try unplugging the front O2 sensor, and see if the problem goes away.

Old 06-16-2020, 10:49 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

I'd get Mopar sensors if I were you. Seen lots of problems with aftermarket. Also, I'd change the plugs. Get regular copper ones.

Quick Reply: Engine sputter question.