2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Engine swap.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2020, 03:31 PM
Vimes
Veteran
Received 63 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by volaredon
hey Vimes… when had Dodge EVER run a "vacuum controlled transmission"? NEVER.
he could run a 95-older 500/518 ( 44/46 RH) that wasn't computer controlled so he could still have OD gear..... chevy trans in a Dodge? No way. Not saying it "couldn't be done" at all just a dumb idea
I've never made it a secret that I came from the world of GM and don't know much about how Dodge has done things. However, I do know quite a bit about automobiles in general and a lot of it applies across brands. I've owned exactly two Dodge cars in my life, a 2016 Charger and my Dakota and the Charger never needed anything more than oil changes while I had it. However, a Chevy auto transmission with 4 gears or less can be made to run behind anything. The transmissions are strong and work well (aside from the 4L60E.) Adapters and standalone controllers are common. It's an option for the OP to consider to get HIS project going. He doesn't have to use a Chevy trans if he doesn't want to, but if nothing else it will get him on the road.

The following users liked this post:
Speedy03Dak (07-05-2020)
Old 07-05-2020, 10:34 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by Vimes
I've never made it a secret that I came from the world of GM and don't know much about how Dodge has done things. However, I do know quite a bit about automobiles in general and a lot of it applies across brands. I've owned exactly two Dodge cars in my life, a 2016 Charger and my Dakota and the Charger never needed anything more than oil changes while I had it. However, a Chevy auto transmission with 4 gears or less can be made to run behind anything. The transmissions are strong and work well (aside from the 4L60E.) Adapters and standalone controllers are common. It's an option for the OP to consider to get HIS project going. He doesn't have to use a Chevy trans if he doesn't want to, but if nothing else it will get him on the road.

I've worked on so many different vehicles over the years, they all sort of run together. If I'm looking at it, I remember it. If I worked on it 40 years ago, my memory sometimes fades. Don't feel bad about not remembering. Now if I could remember the where the winning lottery ticket was.....

The following users liked this post:
Speedy03Dak (07-05-2020)

Quick Reply: Engine swap.