2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Engine swap.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2020, 07:16 PM
Speedy03Dak
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine swap.

I have a 2003 Dodge Dakota with a 4.7 l V8. I want to do an engine swap to a 5.9 l V8. I got my hands on a 5.9 l V8 that was in great shape, came out of a Dodge ram. It is fuel injected with throttle body, but I did not get a computer with the engine. I'm trying to find out do I need to go with a bigger radiator and will my 4.7 l computer reflashed work with the 5.9? are there any light modifications that I can make to the 5.9 before putting it into my truck. It's currently sitting on an engine stand in my garage waiting for a little TLC.

Old 06-29-2020, 08:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

The 5.9 won't bolt to your trans, and the trans wouldn't live long behind it in any event. The electronics are not compatible either. You would need to get all the stuff from a Dak that actually had the 5.9 in it, to make it work. PCM, underhood harness, dash harness, trans, possibly transfer case and driveshafts as well.

It's actually easier to swap to a 5.7, than the 5.9.

The following users liked this post:
jkeaton (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 11:08 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

I'm pretty sure he didn't want to hear that.....

Old 06-30-2020, 11:31 AM
Speedy03Dak

Originally Posted by jkeaton
I'm pretty sure he didn't want to hear that.....
No, actually I didn't and I understand what you're saying. I have access to a trans that WILL work with the 5.9l. I'm not trying to build something to race with it's basically going to be a toy. Is there an option to do away with the electronic, go carb. I'm not overly concerned about a lot of the bells and whistles working in the cab. Getting and putting a 5.7 into a Dak is a little on the pricey side even if you find a complete truck to get everything needed. Engine mounts are different so on and so forth.

Old 06-30-2020, 11:42 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Trouble is, darn near everything in the truck goes thru the computer, particularly, all of your gauges. No computer? No gauges..... Not to mention the trans is also likely computer controlled. It just isn't a simple swap.

Old 06-30-2020, 11:56 AM
Speedy03Dak

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Trouble is, darn near everything in the truck goes thru the computer, particularly, all of your gauges. No computer? No gauges..... Not to mention the trans is also likely computer controlled. It just isn't a simple swap.
Okay. The gauges I did not think about and yes my current trans is electronic but I do have access to the trans that came with the engine. How difficult is it to find a complete truck say a Dak that has everything needed i.e. gauge cluster and the like. I'm almost positive that any 2001 to 2003 Dak have interchangable parts inside and out......

Old 06-30-2020, 03:07 PM
Vimes
Veteran
Received 63 Likes on 57 Posts

As one who has done what you are contemplating (swapping across platforms, just not on a Dodge) your best bet would be to get a truck that has what you want in it. That truck doesn't need to be running or even complete, you'll just want the front half to be more or less intact. But if this is not an option, then you're in for a lot of money here. You can run it carb only, but you may need a stick shift or a 3 speed vacuum operated transmission. If nothing else, a lot of companies build an adapter to run a Chevy transmission. You can get a standalone controller to run a 4L80E, which gets you overdrive. There may be similar for Dodge transmissions, it'll take research. You may also be able to keep the factory computer happy enough, if you can get the sensors to fit into the new engine and adapt a throttle positioning sensor to fit on the carb. The carb will still operate the same regardless, but telling the computer where the throttle is will keep it happy and let other stuff work correctly. These guys might be an option for you as well if you can sell both your new engine and your old engine and transmission. Thought about using one of their drivelines for my project, but I'm going in a more powerful direction IF I can ever get mine started. No idea why but I can't find anyone willing to do my suspension swap and that's kind of step 1 for my project.

Speedy03Dak (06-30-2020)
Old 07-03-2020, 12:06 PM
Speedy03Dak

Okay. I've been doing more reading around and it definitely seems that my best option is to do a Hemi swap. A lot of what I've read is confusing about the different year models having different issues and some that are not tunable. I'm thinking a 2004 5.7 but not sure what year model ecm to use. I've read that the 2003 and 2004 are not tunable but that the 2005 may not work with my 2003 truck. Thoughts?

Old 07-03-2020, 06:15 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

hey Vimes… when had Dodge EVER run a "vacuum controlled transmission"? NEVER.
he could run a 95-older 500/518 ( 44/46 RH) that wasn't computer controlled so he could still have OD gear..... chevy trans in a Dodge? No way. Not saying it "couldn't be done" at all just a dumb idea

Old 07-04-2020, 12:47 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Find a complete truck that was a roll over. The body is usually toast but the drive train is generally unhurt along woth most of the electronics. Now, if the cab was peeled to get the occupants out, the dash may be junk too. I've seen low mileage units go fairly cheap. An older truck like the OP is looking at should be really reasonable.

Speedy03Dak (07-05-2020)

Quick Reply: Engine swap.