2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

AC project question

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2020, 11:26 AM
Robertwav1
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default AC project question

Hello all,
Working on a 98 dakota. Has anyone ever used a under dash evaporator for their truck. The heater core is gone, live in Florida so I don't need it. The fan is going and possibly the evap which would all be replaced if I remove the dash. I'm thinking using one of the under dash mount evaps that they have incorporating it my existing compressor, condensor etc. I may bite the bullet and remove the dash, just looking for an easier way. Looking at all options. Thanks for any input as I kinda know most of you will say.....remove the dash. Trucks in good shape, just had it painted. All the mechanicals are now in good shape except for the AC thing. I was an AC mechanic for a lot of years so I don't think sizing the evap will be a problem for me if I decide to convert to an under dash thing. The line set I can make up and make work. I have a new Ram but can't part with my old truck! Just a project I'm working on and almost done. Thanks again.

Old 07-07-2020, 03:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

If the heater/fan box is still in the truck, I still think it would be easier to fix what is there, than to add something else......

Old 07-07-2020, 09:40 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 161 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If the heater/fan box is still in the truck, I still think it would be easier to fix what is there, than to add something else......
agreed. Just pull the heater core. You can leave it out, but while you're there, replace the evap core since it's probably rotted out too.

Old 07-07-2020, 11:30 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Thumbs up

yes just pull the dash and replace everything may as well replace the heater core too it's just a little more $.

With two people it's way easier and faster to get done don't rush it take your time.

Don't buy cheap parts they never fit properly not worth the problems.

Almost forgot be careful old plastic parts break easy and replacement parts don't exist only junk yard parts.

A pic for you

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 07-07-2020 at 11:48 PM.
Old 07-07-2020, 11:49 PM
Vimes
Veteran
Received 63 Likes on 57 Posts

I'll add in that when you replace the evaporator add a ground wire to it. I'm sure being a Floridian HVAC tech you're well aware of galvanic corrosion caused by sea air.

Need it or not, I'd go ahead and replace that heater core and ground that as well. A heater core isn't that expensive. Unless you're at the south end of Florida, it does get cold enough to snow in that state occasionally.

Old 07-08-2020, 12:02 AM
dodgedakota98luver
Captain

Pulling the dash really isn’t that bad I’ve had mine out 3 times over the years it can be done in an evening. Old plastic parts can break as was said so be careful and btw windshields can too lmao don’t ask me how I know. Also make sure you reconnect ground wires you’ll get some weird stuff going on if you miss one

Old 07-08-2020, 05:45 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion

A few more I never pulled it out of the truck just to the point I could get the HVAC box out.

Old 07-08-2020, 09:32 AM
Robertwav1
Professional

Thanks for the pics, they will be helpful. Gonna order some parts and commit to the job. Might wait til summer is over. Thanks for all your input!!

Old 07-08-2020, 09:39 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Originally Posted by Robertwav1
Thanks for the pics, they will be helpful. Gonna order some parts and commit to the job. Might wait til summer is over. Thanks for all your input!!
Wait until summer is over to fix your A/C???? That seems just a bit counter-intuitive.

Old 07-08-2020, 11:09 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Wait until summer is over to fix your A/C???? That seems just a bit counter-intuitive.
yes it does but if you live in a very hot place you avoid doing anything during summer time.

Quick Reply: AC project question