2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Transmission fluid leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2020, 06:43 PM
tgotr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission fluid leak

I have a transmission fluid leak near the front of the engine. It practically drips out as soon as I add fluid.

It drips onto the front cross member under the engine, and onto the ground. The best place I can source it to is the hose coming off the front differential. The one that is capped off at the end, and is routed up near the battery. I can not see the leak as I don't have a snake camera, but I gripped the hose near where it attaches to the diff and it seemed to slow the leak. It seems to be the only place it's leaking in that area.

Here is the thing, I don't think the front diff uses transmission fluid or is connected to the reservoir. I could be wrong. What am I missing?

Old 09-15-2020, 06:49 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

That's likely just the vent line for the front diff, so, it would be gear lube coming from that. Your trans cooler lines run in that area though, and it wouldn't surprise me if one of 'em hadn't rusted out, and is dripping. It will only get worse.

Old 09-15-2020, 07:01 PM
tgotr

Originally Posted by HeyYou
That's likely just the vent line for the front diff, so, it would be gear lube coming from that. Your trans cooler lines run in that area though, and it wouldn't surprise me if one of 'em hadn't rusted out, and is dripping. It will only get worse.
Considering that as soon as I put in new tranny fluid it drips out, so it's not gear lube. I wondered if it would be the trans cooler lines. I only checked the fittings. It could be the soft section of the hose or the metal part crimped onto the soft section.

Old 09-16-2020, 05:36 PM
tgotr

Upon further inspection, it's not the transmission fluid. I have a bad transmission pan causing me to lose fluid, but also I have a failed oil filter. It's dripping from the seal. I tightened it up and it stopped dripping.

This was after I tore apart the front end to inspect the transmission cooler lines where they attach to the radiator.

In my defense, transmission fluid is red. Oil is brown, but brown is dark red. Transmission fluid as it ages can become brown.

Old 09-16-2020, 06:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by tgotr
Upon further inspection, it's not the transmission fluid. I have a bad transmission pan causing me to lose fluid, but also I have a failed oil filter. It's dripping from the seal. I tightened it up and it stopped dripping.

This was after I tore apart the front end to inspect the transmission cooler lines where they attach to the radiator.

In my defense, transmission fluid is red. Oil is brown, but brown is dark red. Transmission fluid as it ages can become brown.
At least it was an easy, and inexpensive fix.

Old 09-21-2020, 05:15 PM
tgotr

Upon further inspection, Oil is flowing out of the sensor port just north of the oil filter.

See what I mean?

Old 09-22-2020, 10:32 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

A 7 second video that won't load..... Way to go Google.......

Old 09-22-2020, 01:18 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 379 Likes on 340 Posts

Is this a 4.7L? Sounds like you're saying the (engine) oil pressure switch has failed. Mine was leaking too when I replaced it.

Old 09-22-2020, 05:56 PM
tgotr

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
Is this a 4.7L? Sounds like you're saying the (engine) oil pressure switch has failed. Mine was leaking too when I replaced it.
That's my assumption too after looking at diagrams of the engine. Is there a special socket for taking these out? Don't look like there is enough room to get an open ended wrench in there and maneuver it. Plus I'd be able to use my tite-reach.

Old 09-24-2020, 05:33 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 379 Likes on 340 Posts

I used a small channel lock to remove mine. I think a crowfoot wrench should work, or an O2 sensor socket.

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid leak