2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

5.2 magnum oil capacity

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2020, 10:15 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

[QUOTE=magnethead;3495601]You are measuring primed.

Measure unprimed and I bet you show 1 qt low.

If you have a HV pump, then run 5.5-6 qts.

The heads and valley hold ALOT of oil that does not drain back, especially with as-cast surfaces.

Very common to burn a few dozen polishing pads smoothing out the surfaces on the heads and valley to make the oil drain back better.

Thanks for your response.
I just tilted the motor 45 degrees to the left, for 15 min. then to the right, let it set 1/2 hr. level. The dipstick reads the same.
I still have my 5qt container, so im going to drain the oil and see what I have. (allow 1 pt. for the filter?)
The pump is a standard pump.
And everything is as cast.

Ill be back with my results.

]

Old 10-14-2020, 02:46 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 378 Likes on 339 Posts

The 5.2 takes 5 quarts. Drain all your oil, then add 5 quarts. Run engine, wait ten minutes then pull dipstick. Take a file and mark the stick where the oil tops out. Let that be your full mark going forward.

Old 10-14-2020, 10:07 PM
Vimes
Veteran
Received 63 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
The 5.2 takes 5 quarts. Drain all your oil, then add 5 quarts. Run engine, wait ten minutes then pull dipstick. Take a file and mark the stick where the oil tops out. Let that be your full mark going forward.
Minor correction - put FOUR quarts in, mark it, then put in the last quart and mark it again. That way you know what a quart is on the stick.

Old 10-15-2020, 09:03 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

OK to answer or add to this, I have the following pictures.

This is the oil drained back into the 5 qt container. Considering 8oz to 16oz in the filter , I believe it would suggest that about 1pt. (16oz) remained in the engine.......

Here is a picture of the ram dipstick measuring the oil. I figure it is about 1pt low.... And thanks to Magnethead pointing out the oil that stays in the engine between changes.
But as its measured now, from full to add is about 1&3/8 in or so. My oil level is at 2&1/2

Looking on rockauto, it seems the following
1. The dipstick tube is the same for 97-03 dakota's and 97-02 rams.
2. The dipsticks are different from ram and dakota's
3. But all 5.2 & 5.9 dakotas 97-03 use the same dipstick Mopar. 53021354AA

If anyone with a 5.2 second gen dakota could measure the engine dipstick and let me know what it measures, I sure would appreciate it!!
Below is a picture of how I measured the ram dipstick I have now. Its measured from tip to where the handle seats.
Thanks again to everyone.

Old 10-15-2020, 09:05 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Dodgevity

Just to be clear, is the 5qt capacity with or without a filter change?

Old 10-15-2020, 09:10 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop

Just to be clear, is the 5qt capacity with or without a filter change?
With.

Old 10-15-2020, 09:22 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HeyYou
With.

Thanks!!

Old 10-15-2020, 06:21 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

Initial fill may be a little more, as the drain plug isnt quite at the bottom, have the thickness of the nut left in pan when drained as much as possible without pulling the pan. You have probably 1/2 qt left once all that can be drained, is, from the pan by pulling plug.

Old 10-15-2020, 08:14 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 378 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop
This is the oil drained back into the 5 qt container. Considering 8oz to 16oz in the filter , I believe it would suggest that about 1pt. (16oz) remained in the engine.......
Your amount drained probably shouldn't be used in the equation, because you don't know if it was at proper level before draining. Most engines will experience oil loss between changes.

I see you're torn between whether the amount in the oil filter is taken into account or not. I can tell you that's a very small (negligible) amount in the filter. If you want to add 5.25 or even 5.5 qts total, it will be fine too. It won't make a difference.

I run a quarter inch over full as a habit. Also, I always fill the filter before installing, then put my 6 qts (4.7L). Helps engine reach prime fast.

Old 10-16-2020, 09:38 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

[QUOTE=Dodgevity;3495742]Your amount drained probably shouldn't be used in the equation, because you don't know if it was at proper level before draining. Most engines will experience oil loss between changes.

I see you're torn between whether the amount in the oil filter is taken into account or not. I can tell you that's a very small (negligible) amount in the filter. If you want to add 5.25 or even 5.5 qts total, it will be fine too. It won't make a difference.

I run a quarter inch over full as a habit. Also, I always fill the filter before installing, then put my 6 qts (4.7L). Helps engine reach prime fast.[/QUOTE]

Just to be clear, the engine was rebuilt, and bone dry.
Magnethead pointed out, that the first filling of the engine will be more due to oil left in the heads and valley..... which is why I drained it and guessed as to how much is in the filter.
The engine has never been started, only primed......
I am using a 5.9 out of a 2000 ram, dipstick, and tube included.
But I swapped the ram oil pan for a dakota oil pan.

In short, I am going to get the engine installed as is, probably add 1 pt of oil to my 5qts. (this will hopefully cover what lays in the valley, heads, etc. that does not drain out)
Do the new startup, timing, etc. Take it for a short drive, bring it back, and change the oil and filter. 5qts
I of course can mark the ram dipstick for now,
But I would still like to check the length of a 97-03 5.2-5.9 dakota dipstick. I suspect it is a little longer then the ram.
Worst case I will order a new one.

Thanks to everyone for their help!!

Quick Reply: 5.2 magnum oil capacity