2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

CTM / Headlight wiring issue NEED SOME HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2020, 03:45 PM
Canadian___Dakota
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CTM / Headlight wiring issue NEED SOME HELP

Love the Forum, first time posting because I am really stuck on this one.

2002 Dakota Sport, 4x4, 4.7L

Issue at hand: I noticed a problem with my right side day time running light and low beam. Diagnosed as the CTM so I replaced it (from my old 03 slt dakota) and great everything working as it should, EXCEPT. One of the wires is getting hot. too hot to touch, and it actually melted the bus connector a bit. I caught it in time to not cause damage to anything that i know of and everything does still work, but the problem is persisting. I have the Haynes manual and fsm manual, but neither get into great detail around the CTM. if i leave the wire in questions connected it will overheat, if i don't leave it connected, I wont have the day time running light or low beam... I am very close to throwing in the towel on this one and getting a new truck since if this repair cant be done other repairs are just not worth it

Questions:

-Does anyone know the wiring colors or wiring diagram for the connector?

-Anyone had anything like this happen?

-All thoughts and ideas appreciated

wire with red tape is the "hot" wire

Old 11-08-2020, 04:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,197 Likes on 2,949 Posts

Connector pinout should be in the FSM... Section 8W. Need to find out what connector number it is, which will be on the wiring diagram that shows the CTM... (headlight wiring would likely work) see what the wire does. If it's a power feed for the headlights, then maybe there is a heavy duty harness available for your truck, that would take the load off that wire.

Old 11-08-2020, 06:33 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

That is connector 3 (Gray - 12 way).

#1 Red with tan stripe is Fused battery constant (Circuit A302) fed from PDC Fuse #12 - 12 Amp
#2 Red/Orange is right high beam
#3 Light Green/Brown is left high beam
#4 Violet/White is left low beam (Color might be a typo in FSM)
#5 Violet/White is right low beam (Color might be a typo in FSM)
#6 Red/Light Green is Fused battery constant (Circuit A301) fed from PDC Fuse #3 - 20 Amp

With that said, this is from my 01 manual, and your 02 wire colors aint matching very well.

Last edited by magnethead; 11-08-2020 at 06:37 PM.
Old 11-09-2020, 11:39 AM
Canadian___Dakota
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for that!! yea, what I have learnt is that the 01 manual seems to be the only one that references or has any info on the CTM. The 02 and 03 only reference a "front control module" . It is definitely frustrating that this is info that has been left out

Currently my plan is too:
Try and isolate or create the issue. so I am going to disconnect all my lights and run them one at a time, see if i get the "hot wire". if one of them sets it off i can go from there. if there is no change i will expand the search to other things the CTM controls and try to isolate what is pumping up the current in the wire.

At the end of the day, if I cant figure it out, I will just rewire the headlights on a new (maybe more practical) relay set up with a new switch i bring into the cab. Wont be very stock, but that would be OK.

Thank you for the replys so far. I will update what I do incase this is ever helpful to someone else

Quick Reply: CTM / Headlight wiring issue NEED SOME HELP