2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

99 heater core again

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2020, 10:14 AM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by wheily
i think dorman makes a universal repair kit witch looks like a threaded rod and some fiberglass reson i drilled holes in mine and just ran a choke style cable to it cense my box
was destroyed
"universal repair kit" for what? there isn't any such thing for what I need...... been stuck in the house a few days, wife has that COVID $#!t..... I do have an idea to fix the problem, gotta get the blend door and the broken hinge pin, my son's neighbor supposedly has access to 3D print stuff at his work so the kid took the stuff home to see if his neighbor could make the part.... but now the kid has this $#!t too..... gonna have to see if he can set it outside and I can go get it later,

Old 12-03-2020, 11:41 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Be careful pre drill a hole for the screw all this stuff is brittle plastic.

try the junk yards the part you need should be accessible through removing the glove box.

Old 12-03-2020, 12:07 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Thumbs up

You should get a backup HVAC temp controller before they get hard to find its wort it.

Another no longer available part used is it they can be taken apart and cleaned up to like new condition as they are usually gouped up inside contacts dirty springs need stretched back in shape. They were well built

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-1999-D...kAAOSwJeVd1qH0

Old 12-03-2020, 07:37 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 98DAKAZ
Be careful pre drill a hole for the screw all this stuff is brittle plastic.

try the junk yards the part you need should be accessible through removing the glove box.
the top of the box needs to come off to get it off of there..... the way the box sits in there, this part winds up closer to driver side as installed..... I'm thinking almost right behind the radio.
I WISH all I had to do was to pull the glovebox to get to what I need....... the blend door is on the heater core side of the box, look where your heater hoses poke thru the dash... not behind the glove box.
but I couldn't even see that part of the heater box til it was out of the truck on the tailgate..... maybe if I'd have had help to get the dash completely out of the truck when I pulled it instead of only being able to set it back onto the seat..... I havent looked at it in a week, with everyone around me having that Covid ****, and the thermostat in the garage having since died as well...... I have that, hope to get outside tomorrow and replace the T stat, so I don't come down with this **** too.....

he
lp

Old 12-04-2020, 04:36 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Thumbs up

WOW be cool dude times do stink but shrug it off everyone is touchy about the smallest things it sucks I see it every Day.

Doing this by yourself is hard I know I did it solo also one thing I did was tie a rope to the dash then hang it on the doors or around the roof.

Helped me a lot stinking friend would not help

Old 12-24-2020, 04:43 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker

well though I tested neg for covid/ people around me that tested positive, had an easier time kicking that than I did kicking what ever it was that I got. . Doc said "just a bad case of upper respiratory infection" and after 3 weeks I am FINALLY about 90% over it, but not totally.... I've had "bad upper respiratory infection" before, many times---- but not in probably 4 years or so since the last one, never quite like this. They came out to me in the Durango in the parking lot at the Dr and swabbed me, waved me in 20 min later, and told me I didn't have covid.... so, when the PA that I normally see (and have for probably 15 years now) came into the room, I told her I thought I had walking pneumonia. She listened to my breathing and said she didn't think so but by the way I felt, it had to have been..... started feeling a little better 3 days into taking antibiotic...... that is long past done, but I'm still not completely better. Those around me that tested + for covid, though, are. each day I am a "little" more better, than the day before. but "too" little. I, ready to be "done" with whatever this is.
between my wife, son, daughter in law, her parents and her sister I am the only one to test negative..... but I somehow took the hit by the Mack truck, I definitely had symptoms and problems longer and different from what they all experienced.... by comparo if what they had was covid I'd have rather of had that...... before the 1st 2 weeks of December this year, I hadn't called in sick in over 2 years.

back to the truck.... went out last weekend and tried to change T stat for garage heater and my head started spinning so it was back to the couch...... finally got that in last nite. Ive been back to work now since 12/15 (barely) but in the last couple days I was able to cobble up a replacement blend door pin "gov't project style" while at work out of a 4" piece of 1/4" dowel rod, a 1-1/2" long piece of 1.8X1/2" wide flat stock and believe it or not, a nail. Cut it all down to size, drilled a couple holes and welded it together.... some time with a hand file where the opening link slides over, and put the top of this in the drill press and held the file over the rest of the lower section that forms a hinge of sorts between the 2 parts of this door while the drill press chuck spun the 1/4" dowel rod (only had to knock off a few thousandths-- like 0.006 or 7) and it works, will never break again. Beats being out in a junkyard in what is now 15*F temps for a few hours to pull another heater box, this took less time, and was all able to be done in a warm shop......
I will TRY and get a couple of pix up later, but I am much more "mechanic/fabricator" and much less "computer/picture guy"..... biggest thing was having to wait out alot of tiredness and fatigue while I got over what ever the He11 I had...... Im just glad that this truck isn't my only ride....... been driving my 96 Dakota while this 99 has been apart. I like the square body series a whole lot better anyway..... wish I could find another nice 87-96. maybe its because my 99 is a 3.9, and I have had 3, 318 powered square bodys? (I have had a couple of those with 3.9s too....... but they didn't seem as doggey as this one..... story for later)

Last edited by volaredon; 12-24-2020 at 04:49 PM.
Old 12-24-2020, 08:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,256 Likes on 3,003 Posts

So, once the first gen is a driver again, yank the 3.9 out of the 2nd gen, and drop in a 5.9. Fairly straightforward swap.

Old 12-25-2020, 12:15 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Cool

On that my friend got what he thought was covid fever for three days feeling bad, work put him on quarantine that included me he tested negative.

I got it but never had a fever just felt poor for three days but I still have congestion after a week.

Some weird stuff going around these days, the flu usually kicks my *** bad every year this year 2020 didn't get it same end of year so that's very strange. I don't get the flu shot don't trust it, I will find out in 2021 as February or March is when I usually get the flu. In February 2018 a flu hit me very bad I was delirious for two days it affected my heart gave me A-fib heart problems so if I do get covid it could be a bad thing for me.

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 12-25-2020 at 12:20 AM.
Old 12-25-2020, 01:21 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 377 Likes on 338 Posts

Merry Xmas, fellas. I've seen people test negative multiple times only to test positive in the end. Those rapid tests are not highly accurate. Despite the whole political bs, masks are very effective. I've been in contact with coworkers who felt comfy not wearing masks in the room we sometimes work in. Laughed and called me paranoid for wearing mine and getting on them about it. Guess who caught it and who didnt?

Old 12-25-2020, 07:06 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Cool

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
Merry Xmas, fellas. I've seen people test negative multiple times only to test positive in the end. Those rapid tests are not highly accurate. Despite the whole political bs, masks are very effective. I've been in contact with coworkers who felt comfy not wearing masks in the room we sometimes work in. Laughed and called me paranoid for wearing mine and getting on them about it. Guess who caught it and who didnt?
I wondered how accurate those quick drive in tests were to get an accurate test I'm guessing blood work is needed. I want to take the antibody blood test but work insurance couldn't give me a yes if they cover it very annoying it would be very helpful to know if I already had it. Out of pocket its around $150.

You can get these tests done without a doctors order but you pay 100%

https://www.directlabs.com/Default.a...en-US&tabid=55

Quick Reply: 99 heater core again