2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

3.9 to 5.9 swap adding 2 injectors

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2021, 10:18 PM
Alex Laskoski
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.9 to 5.9 swap adding 2 injectors

Tired of the 3.9, going to be diving into a 3.9 to 5.9 swap on the 5 speed, 01 Dakota. Finding lots of information on this swap. ((Not here to talk about the trans or rear, ive read it all. Drive her till she blows!)) I was just going get a 5.9 motor with in the same years, splice in 2 more injectors and get a 01 dakota 5.9 PCM. So Im at the point of just trying to figure what color wires and pin numbers i should be looking for or any other directions.

Ive seen a post where someone has done the 3.9 to 5.9 splice on a 98 Dakota and explained pin numbers and color wires but I imagine different year, diferent color. Im not sure when it comes to harnesses. I mainly work on Midgets/Tq's, some super mods and some dirt micros, so my harness knowledge isnt much.

I read Mopar action did a thing on it but im having a very hard time finding anything but talk and blank pictures about it on forums.

Any one with answers or even steer me in the right possible direction woupd be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-15-2021, 07:17 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Get yourself a factory service manual for your year truck. Ebay or amazon should have the downloadable version for 20 bucks or so. Having it will be handy for more than just setting up the harness.

Old 01-16-2021, 11:20 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 169 Likes on 154 Posts

Just did this on my truck. VERY EASY. also, VERY EASY TO SCREW UP!

It's purple and gray wires, middle (white) PCM connector. They will be unpopulated on your V6 harness. Find a donor harness to steal the wires from. Purple goes to Pin 2 for Injector 7, gray goes to pin 13 for injector 8. Frankly, the wire colors don't really matter.

Undo all the electrical tape on the connector, the plastic backshell will come off easily.

The next 2 steps are important..i messed both up my first try!

Look on the connector. You will see pin numbers in tiny writing next to each hole. You want holes 2 and 13, second one in on the bottom 2 rows.

Take a screwdriver, and while CAREFULLY holding the connector, slide the blue tabs. I think they move towards the back of the truck as you are leaned over the fender. THIS UNLOCKS ALL 32 WIRES!!! DON'T LET THEM FALL OUT!

While still carefully holding the connector, push the 2 new wires into place. You will feel resistance as they pierce the weather sealant. As soon as they bottom out, slide the blue locking tabs back.Make absolutely sure none of the other wires moved while unlocked.

Quick Reply: 3.9 to 5.9 swap adding 2 injectors