2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Charging system

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2021, 11:53 AM
hidden1
Captain
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Charging system

I got that code 1682 again on the 01 3.9 2wd.Charging system low.I replaced the alternator a month ago an the issue stopped.
I noticed as driving the guage warning light came on an the needle was all the way down.
I disconnected an reconnected battery an so far it hasnt come back
I then had it tested along with battery an its charging fine with a good battery.Its reading 13.9 now as driving.Test said voltage regulator may be bad .
Is this possibly the voltage regulator in the pcm failing or maybe a ground issue?
Also does the ignition switch play a role in any of this ? It does seem a bit tighter at times.
Is there anything else I might look at?
Thanks

Old 05-18-2021, 03:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

I don't think the ignition switch would be a contributor here..... Voltage regulator is indeed in the PCM, and they ARE a known failure point. Most folks just go with the old-fashioned external regulator, piggy-backed on the factory system. (so, the gauge works, and the PCM doesn't whine about it.....) Checking the cheap stuff first though, is always a good idea.

Quick Reply: Charging system