2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

99 5.9l v8

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2021, 05:05 AM
bond0349
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 5.9l v8

Im in urgent need of help!
So i was travelling back home from Tennessee and my battery exploded. I got it towed to a local mechanic and they told me it was an ecm issue the alternator pushing out too much power causing the battery to overcharge. I get a new battery and leave my alternator unhooked to get home. i get home and the next morning it cranks but doesnt turn on. i get a new ecm and at times it turns on but i have to keep my foot on the gas to keep the vehicle on. Im not sure what it could be ill check if im getting spark to the spark plugs or if its a fuel delivery issue.
should i change the crankshaft position sensor? and see if that fixes the problem. ill check the fuses again but i think theyre all good. i really need my truck fixed by next friday so any advice would help out

Old 07-30-2021, 07:17 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Diagnose first. Replace parts second. Just throwing parts at it, is a good way to spend a LOT of money, and still have a truck that won't start.

The battery exploding likely caused more damage than just a battery. Spewing acid over everything under the hood is just not good. You may have sensors that got fried, or wiring, or both..... Need to find out just what is going on, and go from there.

So, start with spark. See if you are getting any.

Quick Reply: 99 5.9l v8