2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Parking brake parts (rear drum) needed 04 Dak 3.7L

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2022, 08:57 AM
TXGR
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking brake parts (rear drum) needed 04 Dak 3.7L

There are some brake parts I can't seem to find online for the rear drum brakes, 2004 Dodge Dakota 4x4 extended cab 3.7L:
- MOPAR 5003791AB Parking Brake Strut (2) - #13 in graphic
- MOPAR 5003784AB Parking Brake Adjusting Lever, Right, #29 in graphic
- MOPAR 5003785AB Parking Brake Adjusting Lever, Left, #29 in graphic

RockAuto doesn't have them, and I can't find these parts as aftermarket from Dorman or other companies. All the MOPAR parts sites list them as "discontinued."

Does anyone know of a source or maybe alternate parts I could use? I have to repair the parking brake to pass the safety inspection (apparently the previous owner removed them).

This truck is in Poland (imported in 2009). Since Dakotas were never officially imported, there aren't any spare parts or salvage yards I can visit to find a donor vehicle. I have a US address (Texas or APO), but I need to find the part for sale someplace first.

Any assistance or leads will be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-07-2022, 05:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Just search on the number part, and skip the last two letters, that's just the revision number in any event. (though, why they would feel the need to change them, is beyond me.)

Mopar Parts Giant shows the strut available, for about 100 bucks....... That seems stupid expensive to me for a hunk of steel..... Think I would be more tempted to source 'em from a junkyard.

The following users liked this post:
TXGR (01-07-2022)
Old 01-07-2022, 06:19 PM
TXGR

Thanks. I have since discovered from the previous owner the entire rear-axle was swapped out for one from a 99 Dak with 10" drums. So I was able to source the struts, but I am still missing the levers:
4882808 Lever Parking Brake Adjusting Right
4882809 Lever Parking Brake Adjusting Left
They are #10 in the graphic

Any help sourcing these or leads will be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-07-2022, 06:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Apparently, USASpareparts has 'em in stock, but, they are in..... Italy........ Not real helpful.

Try car-part.com, see who has the right truck layin' about, and see if you can get them to ship you the parts you need. They'll be used, but, those parts aren't really failure-prone.

TXGR (01-07-2022)
Old 01-07-2022, 06:46 PM
TXGR

Okay, that is just weird...why would they have those parts in Italy for a vehicle never sold outside of North America?

Curiously enough, it works for me, as I am in Poland. That is actually faster and cheaper shipping. I have my doubts they actually have the parts though. I will contact them to verify.

The car-part.com is another good option. Thanks much. I'll wait until daytime hours in Texas to see if I can locate it. This will be a great resource for other parts too. Thanks much!

Old 01-07-2022, 07:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by TXGR
Okay, that is just weird...why would they have those parts in Italy for a vehicle never sold outside of North America?

Curiously enough, it works for me, as I am in Poland. That is actually faster and cheaper shipping. I have my doubts they actually have the parts though. I will contact them to verify.

The car-part.com is another good option. Thanks much. I'll wait until daytime hours in Texas to see if I can locate it. This will be a great resource for other parts too. Thanks much!
Well, since you are on the same continent as USAParts, I would try them first.

I am too used to everyone being here in the US.

TXGR (01-07-2022)
Old 01-07-2022, 07:13 PM
TXGR

I am from Texas if that helps. I just happen to be here working for a few years.

The Gen II Dak is my all-time favorite truck. I had one in the US I regretted selling - first new car I ever bought - owned it 15 years.

I was looking for a "cheap" pickup here as a second car when I stumbled across this Dak imported from Pennsylvania. I had to have it, provided it ran. It did. I paid too much for it. There are some issues, but unlike the previous owner, I can easily order parts from US parts stores. The engine, trans, and transfer case look good. After I replaced the spark plugs, the engine seems to have a new life. The previous owner put in an LPG tank, so I have two 21 gallon tanks...I can just drive forever. In spite of the issues -- nothing that can't be fixed -- I just love it.

Thanks again for your help. I appreciate it.

Old 01-07-2022, 07:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Well, that explains why your english is good.

What do you do for a living??

Old 01-07-2022, 08:47 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 169 Likes on 154 Posts

Usually stuff like that is included in a "Service Parts kit" or "Drum Brake Rebuild Kit".

Look up BrakeBest #H2309 for 9" drums or H2300 for 11" drums. The difference is a 9x2.5 shoe or 11x2.0 shoe as I recall. Or just measure the ID of the drum.

As far as mopar parts in Italy? Blame Fiat.

Other thought - I wonder how different the Chry 8.25" 9" drum brake is compared to an A/B/E body 7.25 drum brake? Might not be perfect, but wonder if they'd work. > https://www.manciniracing.com/brakeparking.html

ALSO: https://www.ebay.com/itm/16521307972...RoCQnQQAvD_BwE

Last edited by magnethead; 01-07-2022 at 09:00 PM.
TXGR (01-08-2022)
Old 01-08-2022, 04:50 PM
TXGR

The plot thickens...
Thanks to @VEETEN, I now have the official Dodge parts manual for 1999 (previous owner confirmed the rear axle and brakes are from '99 Dak, 10" drum). Curiously, the picture looks radically different than the picture for the 1999 Dak from moparpartsgiant.com

In fact, it looks almost identical to the 11" brakes from the 2004 Dakota.

...but the part numbers match...weird.

I found the struts on allmoparparts.com. I think I just about have this surrounded. I did contact the place in Italy today, but they only respond to quote requests, so I am not expecting anything back until next week.

@magnethead Thanks for the response. The kits I've found don't include the struts or the large adjusting levers. The ebay auction you found though...that looks interesting. So, this is from a '99 and is a 10" drum, not the original 11" drum from the 2004. That auction is for a 2000 Dak, close...the part numbers per the manual between the 9" and 10" are different, but I wonder how different they really are? Curious the seller didn't put the part numbers up there. The pic is too fuzzy to read them. I might just get that. Thanks much.

@HeyYou I work in IT. The previous owner recently received a jumble of suspension parts (bushings and some ball joints) I think he'll sell me the parts cheap. Labor is very inexpensive here. I might just get this truck refinished and import it back to Texas when I leave. I'll be here at least 2 more years. Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: Parking brake parts (rear drum) needed 04 Dak 3.7L