2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2000 Dodge Dakota Sport won't start

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2022, 05:43 PM
Pinger05
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Dodge Dakota Sport won't start

Hi everyone!

First time poster. Just purchased a 2000 Dodge Dakota Sport club cab V6 3.9l with 4x4, automatic transmission with 160,100 miles. When I purchased it, it started and ran well...for about 10 minutes. On the drive home the radiator sprung a leak, and it starts like it has no spark.

Replaced the Battery, Upper Radiator Hose, thermostat, Tensioner Pully, Serp belt, Rotor, Cap, plug, ignition coil, and wires. Checked fuel at the rail and it has a ton of pressure. I didn't have a meter that would work so I had another person turn the ignition on and pressed in the valve. It sprayed fuel all over.

Still will not start. It turns over and almost catches when I have the gas pedal all the way down. Tried to start with the air intake off spraying starting fluid. Nothing. No error codes.

Should I get a Camshaft Sensor Module? Looking for ideas other than taking it to a shop. Once I get it running I plan to use it as a farm truck. I am reasonably handy. Was a mechanic a few decades ago.
Thanks!
-_- Dan

Old 02-01-2022, 10:09 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Check for any codes first. You don't need a reader, the truck can display them.

Turn the key to RUN, not start. Then back to OFF, RUN again, OFF, and finally leave it in RUN.

Any codes will display in the odometer window. It'll say "PDONE" when finished.

The following users liked this post:
V8Cowboy (02-01-2022)
Old 02-01-2022, 02:18 PM
Pinger05

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
Check for any codes first. You don't need a reader, the truck can display them.

Turn the key to RUN, not start. Then back to OFF, RUN again, OFF, and finally leave it in RUN.

Any codes will display in the odometer window. It'll say "PDONE" when finished.
No codes on the dash. Sorry I meant to add that. I had a few codes before I replaced the battery. All of those have cleared since the battery replacement.

Thinking I am going to get an actual number for the fuel system pressure then revisit.

Old 02-01-2022, 02:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

What are you missing? Fuel, or spark? Or are you getting too much fuel?

Old 02-10-2022, 04:55 PM
Pinger05

Originally Posted by HeyYou
What are you missing? Fuel, or spark? Or are you getting too much fuel?
changed the camshaft sensor. When I attempted to start it there was a loud pop. The oil dipstick popped out.

now it smokes while trying to start it. Sprayed start fluid and it still won’t catch. Starter spins and there is a strong smell of gas. No codes on the computer.

This sound like a bad head gasket?

Old 02-10-2022, 07:19 PM
EmterCustomCreations
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pinger05
changed the camshaft sensor. When I attempted to start it there was a loud pop. The oil dipstick popped out.

now it smokes while trying to start it. Sprayed start fluid and it still won’t catch. Starter spins and there is a strong smell of gas. No codes on the computer.

This sound like a bad head gasket?
Did you have oil in the coolant you drained when you did the rad, t-stat, and rad hose? Was there coolant in your oil? If not, I don't believe it's a head gasket. My gut leans more toward too much fuel as well as excess crank case pressure. Too much fuel could be attributed to a bad fuel pressure regulator or injectors that are stuck open.

Check your oil for a strong gas smell and low viscosity, both would be symptoms of a flooded engine. The pop could be attributed to a flooded engine as well if excess vapors managed to ignite, but could also be an issue with excessive ring blow-by or a failing PCV valve allowing the crankcase to build too much pressure(and also adversely affecting fuel mixture). You can usually diagnose a bad PCV valve with the engine off by pulling it from the top of the valve cover on the driver's side and giving it a good shake. If it rattles when shaken, it SHOULD be operating as intended.
If everything seems good above, it's time to verify spark. You can do it the old fashioned way by pulling a plug and grounding it on a metal surface in the vehicle. Have someone turn the engine over while you watch for spark.

Since you just bought it, I'd suggest checking all plugs for fouling and verifying gap to begin with. I just bought my 2003, got it home with a missfire only to find plugs that looked like they had been gapped by a 4 year old.

If there's spark, I'd definitely guess its fuel related. If no spark, try a new plug, if new plug doesn't spark, the electrical fun begins.

Quick Reply: 2000 Dodge Dakota Sport won't start