2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Data link (OBD2) connector

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2022 | 01:57 PM
Al from Duck River
|
Default Data link (OBD2) connector

Hello. This is my first posting on this Dodge forum, but I’m a long-time user of the Jeep XJ forum at NAXJA.org, so I’m not new to the forum concept.

I’ve got a 2004 Dakota Sport with a Magnum 3.7 engine. It runs fine, but is throwing a CEL code. I’d like to check it with my code reader, but the reader is not communicating with the OBD2 data port. The data link connector terminals seem to be kind of corroded, and one of the terminal ends appears to be damaged. The obvious next step is to depin the connector and address the issues with the terminal ends, but for the life of me I can’t figure out how to free the wires from the connector.

I’ve searched diligently online, including watching a bunch of YouTube videos about OBD2 connectors, but I haven’t come across any useful information about this exact connector. I suspect that the solution somehow involves the light grey piece that can be seen in the images below, but I can’t find a way to move it. So I’m stumped.

Can anyone explain how this connector can be taken apart? Can anyone identify the connector by oem part number so that I can maybe find some information about it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-04-2022 | 03:59 AM
Icepike
Amateur

Did you know on these trucks you can read the codes by turning the key on and off 3 times and looking at the odometer. That will tell you what codes it is throwing.

Old 05-04-2022 | 11:45 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech

You can get a replacement DLC connector and spline the wires one at at time to the new connector. The DLC does need to be active on the buss when you have a smog done in some states. Yes you could also cycle the key three times and leave it on the 3rd cycle. You should get P cones.

Old 05-05-2022 | 01:02 AM
hidden1
Captain

I sent pics of one i took apart in recent thread.3 peices an a lock/ unlock an black side tab that opens to get wires out..."LOCK" is written on tabs

lock - at arrow

Last edited by hidden1; 05-05-2022 at 01:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Data link (OBD2) connector