2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Do I have a bad ECM/PCM ? I'm desperate! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2022, 04:05 PM
Henrykjr
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before I do the deep dive on the plenum......I am taking it in to see if the brake booster is bad. When I fire the truck up and first drive it there is something that sounds like a vacuum leak.

The thing that has me looking at the brakes is when they pumped up by themselves at low speed and the ABS lights when out.

I'll do a backflip is this is it.

We will see

HK

Old 05-09-2022, 11:51 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 155 Likes on 142 Posts

Still need to put good copper plugs in. Autolite 3923 I think is one of the part numbers, NGK BKR6E (6962) are the general preferred though. Gapped at .040 . The magnum heads do not swirl well and do not have a flame front compatible with a platinum or iridium plug.

The following users liked this post:
hidden1 (05-13-2022)
Old 05-12-2022, 02:57 PM
Henrykjr
Amateur

Ok has the brake booster checked at a brake shop...... Brake booster is good. Their scan tools cannot read the ABS modules.....it just generates a fault code.

Next up will be looking at the vacuum pump under the battery tray. I know it has a few cracked lines.

The misfires certainly seem vacuum related.

BTW when I pulled and replaced all the plugs and inspected them.....there was nothing abnormal on the cylinder 3&5 plugs. They looked the same as the rest.

HK

Old 05-12-2022, 10:26 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 155 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Henrykjr
Ok has the brake booster checked at a brake shop...... Brake booster is good. Their scan tools cannot read the ABS modules.....it just generates a fault code.

Next up will be looking at the vacuum pump under the battery tray. I know it has a few cracked lines.

The misfires certainly seem vacuum related.

BTW when I pulled and replaced all the plugs and inspected them.....there was nothing abnormal on the cylinder 3&5 plugs. They looked the same as the rest.

HK
If no physical signs of rich/lean/misfire, then I'm definitely looking at the oxygen sensors. The change of vacuum might skew the sensors just enough to trip the threshold.

Old 05-12-2022, 11:51 PM
hidden1
Captain
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Start from scratch with ALL oem Mopar sensors NGK basic plugs, hard reset obdII an reset abs -with rentable scanner ..THEN test run an monitor 02 readings an other readings such as tps,fuel trim,etc ..do that switch[ mentioned earlier] on cylinder wires too an see if misfire code follows it..
-but definately put all oem sensors an basic ngk plugs ,or basic champion- (not my fave-)in it!
I changed back to NGK basic an the firing went much smoother !! No miss..
Be sure you dont have air in abs system too..that will cause a lot of issues .. .

Last edited by hidden1; 05-13-2022 at 12:12 AM.
Old 05-13-2022, 07:43 AM
Henrykjr
Amateur

Certainly I am learning my lesson on non OEM parts. When I decided to start chasing the brake problem...... I received a bad brake light switch and a bad transmission speed sensor.

This week I will chase out the remaining vacuum leaks. I can drive the truck which is helping me with transporting stuff.

I am now taking this as a personal challenge to see this through. If I can get the codes gone.....I'll use it for 20 more 200 mile round trups and then dump it for a more reliable vehicle.

In hind sight........I should have spent the money of a newer truck...suffered the payment and sold it after a few months worth of use which would have saved me a huge amount of time.

We'll see how this goes

HK

Old 08-20-2022, 01:16 PM
Ben from Tampa

Did you fix the problem yet Henry?

Quick Reply: Do I have a bad ECM/PCM ? I'm desperate! HELP!