2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

mild tuning of the V6 engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2022, 02:04 AM
offroader89
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mild tuning of the V6 engine

Hi
I would like to know the following from you and what experiences you have had with it.

I've read a few pages about the "Modded Intake" here, but I still don't really understand what it's good for, for example, if I remove the metal sheet from the intake in the middle.

Do I get more power or a better fuel distribution. What is to be considered with such an intervention and what is also very important for me: do I have to do additional interventions?

Up until now I was of the opinion that just by replacing the throttle valve (from V6 to V8) I could get a little more power or better response.

It would be very nice if you could tell me about your experiences and maybe give me other tips so that I can make my engine a little bit better.

It's important for me that the V6 engine stays, so replacing it with a V8 is not an option.

Greetings Peter

Old 07-04-2022, 10:16 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

The Kegger mod doesn't really give you much in the way of power gains... it will breath a bit better with the center divider removed, keeping in mind, the 95 and older trucks will have EGR there as well...... Cutting the runners down will only move the powerband up a couple hundred RPM, won't give any more power. If you have EGR, then removing the divider probably isn't a good idea, as that will radically alter the exhaust gas distribution within the engine.......

Old 07-05-2022, 12:05 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 169 Likes on 154 Posts

Get with Ryan at Flyin Ryan Tuning (www.frptuning.com) and he can get you set up with a good 3.9 tune, though shipping the handheld tuner across the pond might cost a bit (it updates with any laptop and usb cable). I don't know how the TuV will like that though?

The V8 throttle body will gain you a little. Removing the mechanical fan is worth something as well, if you have an electric fan or can add one. Not sure what the situation is on the vans.

Modifying the intake will help at higher RPM, but hurt lower RPM, which is what a heavy van will want.

Quick Reply: mild tuning of the V6 engine