2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

02 DAK Overhead Console Display Does Not Update

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2022, 11:03 PM
geno11x11
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 DAK Overhead Console Display Does Not Update

I just finished installing a Premium Overhead Console on my 02 Dakota, upgrading from the mid-level console without Homelink or digital display.

Issue 1: Everything works except the display in "Eco MPG" mode does not update in real time. If I scroll through the display using the "Step" button, all the changing values are reported as expected, however they are all frozen in time. As I drive, I should be able to watch the mpg and trip mileage change but the last displayed value remains static. Each time I scroll through, displayed values are updated but, again, not in real time. The compass changes in real time with my direction of travel.

Issue 2: I cannot find where to connect the ambient temp sensor: It does not connect to the center console as in earlier models, it goes to the HVAC temperature climate controller. I expected to find a dangling connector from the loom near the passenger side radiator post where the sensor mounts, but no joy. From the service manual, it appears that the wire pair can connect at the climate controller loom but so far I have not found the correct colored wire pair.

Additional info:
  • My Buss is PCI not CCD. I have a single Violet/Yellow Stripe wire connected to pin 2 of the diagnostic data connector.
  • The Orange wire from the console connector to the left pillar is not connected because, after examining the receptacle on the console, there is no wire connected to that pin. Despite what the schematic shows, there is no physical connection of the orange wire to the console.

I would be grateful for any suggestions/solutions.

Old 08-10-2022, 10:01 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

What year is the overhead console from?
Have you run diagnostics on the trip computer?
On my '00 the harness was there but was well hidden.

Old 08-10-2022, 10:14 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 379 Likes on 340 Posts

I assume you performed a hard reset?

Old 08-10-2022, 01:19 PM
geno11x11

The service manual shows various resets but I haven't found anything on a "Hard" reset. What's the procedure?

Last edited by geno11x11; 08-10-2022 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-10-2022, 01:27 PM
geno11x11

• Console is from an 03 Dakota at the local wrecking yard. Looked pristine and had the correct wiring loom.
  • Didn't know about the self-diagnostic. Found the instructions online. I'll try that later today.
  • Are you referring to the temp sensor harness? If so, more details plz. I just pulled the dash to get at the temp control for wiring up the temp sensor. If those wires are already present I definitely want to use them.

Old 08-10-2022, 04:02 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

My harness was on the radiator support but buried under the fan shroud.

Old 08-10-2022, 07:01 PM
geno11x11
Default Update

UPDATE:

1) I did find the temp sensor pig-tail "buried under the radiator shroud" (Thx Dan). After a few stabs at it I figured out the connector plugs directly into the sensor - it was so dirty it looked like the wires were hard wired to the sensor. But I recognized the push tab and the proverbial light bulb came on; unplugged the old, plugged in the new, and the temperature now reads on my display. If that's not enough, the temperature agreed exactly with the digital thermometer at my house.

2) I performed the diagnostic procedure and it very quickly displayed "PASS". That's encouraging!

3) I decided to reinstall the dash panel and take it for a test drive - everything works perfectly except for the "stuck" values on the display. I feel like I've made good headway so far - any thoughts on why this is happening and how to resolve it?

Thx for everything so far...

Last edited by geno11x11; 08-11-2022 at 02:49 AM.
Old 08-10-2022, 07:49 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Supposedly the trip computer can diagnose problems with the temp circuit. Check for continuity between the sensor and the HVAC control head.

Old 08-11-2022, 03:02 AM
geno11x11
Default 2003 real-time MPG display Redesign???

I've been reading forum entries on mpg not updating in real time. It is referred to as "Instantaneous MPG". A claim was made that Dodge removed the feature in 2003. To read the current MPG the driver must depress the console RESET button and the current value replaces the previous one. That account accurately describes my complaint. Can anyone confirm if that is factual? If it is, then my solution will be to return the 2003 console and replace it with the 2002 version.

Old 08-11-2022, 06:12 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 379 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by geno11x11
The service manual shows various resets but I haven't found anything on a "Hard" reset. What's the procedure?
Pull the neg battery terminal and leave off overnight. To speed things up, u can pull and short the terminals together, then turn the key to crank position. This dissipates any static electricity.

Originally Posted by geno11x11
I've been reading forum entries on mpg not updating in real time. It is referred to as "Instantaneous MPG". A claim was made that Dodge removed the feature in 2003. To read the current MPG the driver must depress the console RESET button and the current value replaces the previous one. That account accurately describes my complaint. Can anyone confirm if that is factual? If it is, then my solution will be to return the 2003 console and replace it with the 2002 version.
My 03 updates real time. The values change on their own.

Quick Reply: 02 DAK Overhead Console Display Does Not Update