2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

02 Dakota stalling/dying NO BUS error

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2022, 07:25 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Originally Posted by supadoom
They might have had to order a used one from somewhere. I never believe any that say they actually have a 20 year old computer for 1 specific truck in stock...
The same computer is used in a variety of vehicles though, just the programming changes.....

Old 11-11-2022, 09:04 PM
supadoom
Veteran
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

I would think the hardware would have to change for some of the major changes they were doing during the time. Maybe not though. Still might not be something they would keep in stock though. It is 20 years old regardless.

Old 11-11-2022, 09:21 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by supadoom
I would think the hardware would have to change for some of the major changes they were doing during the time. Maybe not though. Still might not be something they would keep in stock though. It is 20 years old regardless.
Well, for cars that use the same protocols, yeah, PCMs *should* be interchangeable. Just update the programming.

Manufacturers are required to stock parts for 10 years..... after that, it is purely luck if you can find what you want.

Old 11-18-2022, 09:02 PM
Joedodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update 11/18

Got the new PCM installed today. Started right up after it got programmed. But now 1,3,5 are misfiring. I replaced the upstream O2 sensor because that popped up. Then after I saw it was misfiring I replaced all the spark plug cables, distributor cap, and rotor. I called around and dodge said if there were no other issues prior to replacing the ECM then it’s most likely a faulty computer. Called O’reilly and they are giving me a new one on Sunday to see if that fixes it. I mean it’s driving now but the acceleration is extremely slow. Any recommendations?

Old 11-19-2022, 09:53 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

The 'refurbed' PCM's are notorious for just handing you a different problem. Then there are companies that you send yours in for 'repair', and they basically just paint it, and send it back..... Finding a company that actually has a good reputation is a lot like looking for hens teeth.... They are rare to the point of non-existence...... One of the reasons I like dealing local for them. If you get a bad one, it's a simple matter to go see a real human being, and get it swapped out. Not so much for the online mail-it-to-me companies.

Old 11-21-2022, 07:12 PM
Joedodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally Finished!

Alright so here’s the final update. Well hopefully it’s the final update. I picked up another computer from Oreiley today. I stopped by a local mechanic and just shot the **** with him for about 20 minutes asking him questions about what I should do. He told me if I don’t have a skim, which is the antilock security, on my car then I don’t have to get it programmed to my VIN or mileage. He said I can just plug it in and it should work just fine. So I got home and plugged it in….and no more misfiring! The only thing is the ABS and Ebrake lights are on my dash. Dodge said that’s because it wasn’t programmed. However, the only thing I have noticed is that when I’m in reverse I get a very low rumble/stall sound. Car kinda stutters and then I switch into drive and it’s fine. If anyone knows what would cause that last issue please let me know! Thank you guys for all the help!

Old 11-22-2022, 01:42 PM
supadoom
Veteran
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

That's often caused by poor idle response. Essentially the engine is almost stalling with the sudden load sounds like. Incorrect plug gap, slow response from sensor's, plugged air filter, stuck open EGR, etc. Check the easiest stuff first. Some aftermarket sensors are known for causing issues like this because they are not tuned to the same degree as OEM parts. Also your new computer won't have an engine learn on it. Drive it for atleast 25-50 miles and it should smooth out a bit.

Quick Reply: 02 Dakota stalling/dying NO BUS error