2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Proper coolant for the 4.7

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2022, 01:37 PM
Rustyvan
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proper coolant for the 4.7

I was goofing around on YouTube yesterday and saw a video to burp the air from the cooling system. At some
Point I see a line of text appear with something about requiring the use of a coolant labeled as HOAT. Seems the
guy made a reference to the green coolant being wrong for this engine.

Later doing a basic search I see another forum where folks were saying it didnt matter if it was green or yellow but
were adamant to not use the red. I did see where this HOAT deal is intended for use where aluminum is used in engines.

So whats the general thought about this and whats the book says to use in a Dakota 4.7 engine?

Old 11-17-2022, 10:19 PM
supadoom
Veteran
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I had always just used the classic green when I had my 01. I never had any cooling system issues with that. Just change it every 5-7 years or so and you'll be good.

Old 11-17-2022, 10:55 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 379 Likes on 340 Posts

Same here. I use the Walmart Supertech concentrate in the blue bottle. The important thing is, I mix it with distilled water.

The following users liked this post:
V8Cowboy (11-19-2022)
Old 11-17-2022, 11:13 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 161 Likes on 148 Posts

iirc, HOAT is an anti-corrosive that helps fight aluminum electrolysis. Distilled water helps as well.

The following users liked this post:
V8Cowboy (11-19-2022)
Old 11-22-2022, 01:43 PM
Rustyvan
Amateur

I had never heard of the HOAT stuff before seeing the video. Since reading here and looking at jugs of
coolant that say all makes and models and seeing the compatibility chart looks like they tried to make a
universal blend?

The other question is where does one properly dispose of old coolant? I watched several videos of cooling
system flushing tutorials and I was sort of surprised at how many just let the flush water with coolant run out
on the ground. I looked at one national parts chain suggesting to properly dispose used coolant yet offered
no info as how or where.

Old 11-22-2022, 01:44 PM
supadoom
Veteran
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

My local garbage dump has a place for oil and coolant. Might try there?

Old 11-22-2022, 01:57 PM
Rustyvan
Amateur

Thanks Supa, I will inquire with our local trash mountain facility.

Old 11-22-2022, 02:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Some of the local parts stores around here accept waste oil/coolant as well.

Old 11-22-2022, 03:03 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 379 Likes on 340 Posts

The Mopar stuff has silicates to help prevent head gasket leaks. Low level, it's like having one of those block seal products in your coolant. At the time when I had my HG leak, I used one called K&G permanent block repair but it was the kind you added with only water, drained out after using, then added back the coolant. That stuff is still working today and I had blocked off the heater core before using it. I'm not fond of leave-in silicates running thru the coolant all time, as I wonder if way down the line it contributes to blocked heater cores. Of course, HG leaks are no fun either. I use the green stuff cause I'm somewhat protected. LOL

PS: I remember the K&G instructions saying it could be used right after HG replacement, as extra insurance. It's a CRC product and I'm partial to that company. Always seems to make a quality product.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 11-22-2022 at 03:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Proper coolant for the 4.7