2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Fan Shroud for my truck

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2023, 06:54 PM
Observant1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fan Shroud for my truck

2002 RWD 3.9 v6 automatic.

picture of what i need.............

Old 05-14-2023, 08:57 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 379 Likes on 340 Posts

Is the combo shroud (pictured) what you need, or are you just looking for the shroud that bolts onto that?

Old 05-14-2023, 11:22 PM
Observant1
Default The shroud part i need

That picture is my truck, so i just need the bolt on shroud that's missing.

Old 05-15-2023, 04:05 PM
Observant1

Wen to pullapart today...man it's hot in Alabama! ..... didn't find a shroud that bolts on to the top of mine. Several 1 piece shrouds for V8's that sit closer to the front, but nothing for the year/model of my truck. I'm not even sure I'd know which part to order off Rockauto or some other site.

The truck is somewhat loud when under acceleration. Not as loud as an airplane but much louder than any other vehicle I've owned.

Old 05-16-2023, 11:23 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 379 Likes on 340 Posts

The part number is 5015536AA. Don't know where you'll find it though. Everywhere says discontinued. Keep looking in the bone yards.

https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/part...5015536aa.html

Old 05-18-2023, 10:24 AM
Observant1

I have found two of those but they don't look like they'd fit with what i have now. I don't know if my SXT is unique in how the fan shroud works or what? The shroud in pic - https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/part...5015536aa.html would have to bolt on before the fluid resivor/shroud and it did not look like it would fit my dakota.

It doesn't run hot. The electric fan went bad and it still never ran hot. I replaced the electric fan, thought about removing the clutch fan but no need for that.

It just sounds like an airplane when the engine rev's up. I havent had the truck long. got it from my ex.

I may look to fabricat one with thin metal or plastic if I can't find whatever it is that bolts to those two studs sticking out from the existing fluid container/shroud.

PS - I was gonna remove the clutch fan and install the v8 holly throttle body on mt 3.9 and free flow cat. I even removed the holly TB while at the local pullapart, but decided not to buy it.

Old 05-18-2023, 11:24 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

When the engine is cold, the mechanical fan should freewheel pretty easy. If it doesn't, then the fan clutch is bad. That WILL make it sound like an airplane.

Old 05-23-2023, 10:36 PM
Observant1
Smile

Originally Posted by HeyYou
When the engine is cold, the mechanical fan should freewheel pretty easy. If it doesn't, then the fan clutch is bad. That WILL make it sound like an airplane.
I agree. The crazy thing is i bought a brand new fan clutch from Advance auto. I also bought a new electric fan because it was bad. I installed the electric fan but took back the mechanical clutch because it was so tight it was almost like not having a clutch.

If it were not for dependability I'd remove the mechanical fan and clutch altogether. I thought the original fan clutch had a liquid that let the fan spin free until it was spinning more rpms than the clutch they sold me. I wouldnt mind a clutch that was close to worn out, so it only turned with little resistance....hope i said that correctly....anyway, i like the truck and it will only get better as i tweek on it.
PS. it's never run hot even when the electric fan didn't work.
oh, and RollTide!
😊

Old 05-23-2023, 10:46 PM
Observant1

From the interwebs.....

"Should a fan clutch spin freely?
While there should be a little bit of give, it shouldn't spin more than three complete rotations. Too much free-wheeling is usually a sign that the clutch is prone to slipping."
So the clutch i got from advanceauto would not spin at all....or if you stopped pushing it it stopped right away. No free spin. Too tight. I may look for the proper clutch with the proper resistance. I'll take em back if they'er not right! ....and the one i was sold was way too tight.

Quick Reply: Fan Shroud for my truck