2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Considering a 2003 Dakota (42re Question)

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2023, 07:18 PM
mphilleo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering a 2003 Dakota (42re Question)

Hey folks, I wanted to get some input on a 2003 Dakota I'm looking at. It needs a couple things like a window regulator (not a huge deal), but there's also an issue with the transmission (42re) going in to park. According to the seller, "sometimes it doesn't go in to park right away."

After doing a little research, it sounds like it's not unusual to have issues with the shifter linkage, cable, or possibly a lockout in the column. Depending on the year it sounds like it can be easily remedied by adjusting the cable, other times it might be a bushing, or something internal like the parking pawl.

​My question is what the likelihood of it being a fairly straightforward fix or something internal. I have a chance to pick this up for $1150-1350, depending on whether I pick it up or it's dropped off, so I'd like to give it a shot. I've owned plenty of Mopars before, so this isn't entirely new for me, but I figured I'd ask folks who know. Thanks!

Old 07-03-2023, 08:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,190 Likes on 2,943 Posts

If it starts, runs, moves around under its own power, and stops.... it's worth 1300 bucks in any event. As for the issue, could be any of the above, but, more likely a bushing, or adjustment, than anything else.

The following users liked this post:
mphilleo (07-03-2023)

Quick Reply: Considering a 2003 Dakota (42re Question)