2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Tranny swap cross reference question

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:16 AM
cweklund
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Tranny swap cross reference question

Hi everybody,
I have a 2002 Dakota quad cab 4x4 and the 067-5 transmission went out and I can get a 067-1 transmission to replace it but I don't know if it will work or if there is a way get it to work. The obvious differences are one is electric push button and the other is a manual shift into 4 wheel drive and the connector on the 067-1 is a 3 pin round and the 067-5 has a 5 pin rectangle connector. Other than that they are the same from what I can tell but I'm far from an expert on transmissions. I've searched online quite a bit and haven't come up with much so I thought I'd post here hoping for help. Anybody have a solution or advice I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks to any and all who respond very, very much, cweklund

Old Yesterday, 09:04 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,286 Likes on 3,033 Posts

Think there are going to be too many minor changes for the older trans to work for you. The three pin NSS has a different size hole that is screws into, you can adapt the five pin, to a three pin, but, can't adapt a three pin, to a five pin.

Old Yesterday, 08:47 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 161 Likes on 148 Posts

You're better off finding a 1-for-1 match. You need a 00-04 transmission. As you found, 97-99 transmission is different. The early models were mechanical transfercase and mechanical gear indicator, the later models are electronic gear indicator and electronic transfercase.

What failed on yours, the transmission or transfercase? Mighty expensive to replace both if only 1 broke.

Old Today, 10:28 AM
cweklund

The transmission went out, got worse and worse, then when you even put it in gear it would just die.

Old Today, 10:34 AM
cweklund
Default Tranny swap cross reference question

Thanks guys for responding, I will go the route both of you are advising. Just kinda sucks because I have easy access to the manual tranny even came with the transfer case. Now I have to find a 46re. Hopefully I can find one reasonably priced and quick!!!

Quick Reply: Tranny swap cross reference question