2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

98 Dakota 5.2 Swap PCM?

Search this Thread

Old Today, 11:55 AM
00t444e
Captain
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts
Default 98 Dakota 5.2 Swap PCM?

I swapped a 5.2 out of a 99 Durango auto into a 98 3.9 Dakota 5 speed. I used the Durango PCM at first and it started up and ran for a few seconds then quit and wouldn't fire the injectors, only codes I got were for the transmission solenoid and range sensor which is to be expected since it is a manual. I plugged the V6 PCM in and it started up and ran, just not very well since it is only firing 6 injectors. I can get a PCM for a 98 5.2 Auto Dakota will that run it, I am thinking the Durango had a chip key which is why it wouldn't run in the Dakota.

Old Today, 04:51 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,286 Likes on 3,033 Posts

A computer programmed for a V-6 is going to get seriously confused on a V-8. Crank sensor return signal is different.... so it gets confused right quick. You should be able to have your original PCM flashed for the bigger motor..... PCM is the same, programming is different. Did you swap the wire harness as well? Gotta have those two additional connectors for the injectors.

Old Today, 04:56 PM
00t444e
Captain
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
A computer programmed for a V-6 is going to get seriously confused on a V-8. Crank sensor return signal is different.... so it gets confused right quick. You should be able to have your original PCM flashed for the bigger motor..... PCM is the same, programming is different. Did you swap the wire harness as well? Gotta have those two additional connectors for the injectors.
Yes, I know the V6 PCM isn't going to run it that well, and I don't want to use it because it is going bad anyway. I didn't swap the wiring harness, I just added the two injector wires.

Old Today, 05:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,286 Likes on 3,033 Posts

Originally Posted by 00t444e
Yes, I know the V6 PCM isn't going to run it that well, and I don't want to use it because it is going bad anyway. I didn't swap the wiring harness, I just added the two injector wires.
That works too. As that is pretty much the ONLY difference.

Old Today, 08:57 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 161 Likes on 148 Posts

Chip keys weren't a thing in 98/99 to my knowledge. But i cant think of what else that would cause that situation.

Quick Reply: 98 Dakota 5.2 Swap PCM?