2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Multi cylinder misfire?

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 03:01 AM
4x4dakotamick
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Multi cylinder misfire?

Hey guys, I have a problem,
2004 Dakota 4.7l 4WD. 190,000 miles. I recently had driver side exhaust manifold gasket #7 cylinder back two bolt heads popped off and blew the gasket out. Believe it or not I had zero problems replacing it, all bolts came out with no issues!!

But when I started it up, it ran very rough. It has a lot of back pressure at the tail pipe. Codes read multi cylinder misfire. I pulled all the spark plugs, they all looked clean and dry, gaps were correct. I have a strong smell of unburnt fuel (makes me assume injectors are good). With the engine running, I pulled each coil pack one at a time and it made no difference in the rough idle. The CEL blinks but does not stay on. Once I accelerate to 55-60 (18-1900 rpm)it smooths out.
I will be doing a compression test on the cylinders as soon as I get a tester.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by 4x4dakotamick; Yesterday at 03:10 AM.
Old Yesterday, 07:28 AM
Really Old Man
Amateur
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wild guess..... I had similar issue, it was resolved with a new cap and rotor. Inside the cap was arced, and the rotor got so hot it burned thru...
Just like you, it was fine , until it wasn't!

Old Yesterday, 01:27 PM
4x4dakotamick

Originally Posted by Really Old Man
Wild guess..... I had similar issue, it was resolved with a new cap and rotor. Inside the cap was arced, and the rotor got so hot it burned thru...
Just like you, it was fine , until it wasn't!
This is a 2004… it has coil packs, as I stated, it does not have a “rotor cap”

Old Yesterday, 02:22 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 380 Likes on 341 Posts

Last time I had a misfire, it was due to a seized hydraulic lifter, which caused rocker ejection on #5 cylinder intake valve. If you're getting misfires all over the place, it might be the crank sensor, which you want to go with Mopar if you replace.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...e-issue-2.html

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-not-soak.html

Old Yesterday, 05:06 PM
supadoom
Veteran
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

This sounds like low compression. I wonder if you have been low on compression for a while and then had a no ignition situation that made it fill the exhaust with fuel. Could explain the broken bolts. Don't run the truck till you can do a compression test. You'll just fuel wash the cylinders and make it worse.

Old Yesterday, 06:11 PM
4x4dakotamick
Default P-0300 code

Originally Posted by supadoom
This sounds like low compression. I wonder if you have been low on compression for a while and then had a no ignition situation that made it fill the exhaust with fuel. Could explain the broken bolts. Don't run the truck till you can do a compression test. You'll just fuel wash the cylinders and make it worse.
Interesting thought, but I had an exhaust leak for a while (about 2 months) and the bolts were pretty rusty. I will heed your advice.
The only code I’m getting is P-0300 multi cylinder misfire.

Old Yesterday, 08:13 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 164 Likes on 151 Posts

Unclear of you statement but if you refer to "backpressure at tailpipe" as putting your hand over the pipe to measure the flow, that's accurate.

I agree with the others, this sounds likely mechanical or a sensor issue. Odd that you only have P0300; It should be accompanied by 0301-0308 signifying any 2 or more cylinders.

Quick Reply: Multi cylinder misfire?