2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

dodgy AWD system

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 10:31 PM
craigstockman
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dodgy AWD system

Hey does anybody know of a way to disable the All Wheel Drive feature in the 2000 dakotas. I hate it if I want 4WD i will just put it in 4WD ya know what I mean! The damn thing puts itself into 4WD when it does not need to. Now it is in 4WD all the time and I cant get it out, I have tried everything I can think of. Any advice eould be great. Thanks

Old 02-17-2006, 11:23 PM
cjwr
Professional
Default RE: dodgy AWD system

All wheel drive and four wheel drive are 2 very different things. if you have all wheel drive in your truck, there is no way (expect perhaps major modifation) to go into 2 wheel drive.

Old 02-18-2006, 02:50 AM
craigstockman
Rookie

thanks but thats what I thought i just dont get why they even put AWD iin a truck like that with the options of 4 HI and 4 LO. no matter what it is in no way shape or form a subaru (thank god) well thanks again

Old 03-04-2006, 01:14 AM
db252

Well, it's not really that bad if you want to change it. This is my second 2000 I have owned and the first was full time 4-wheel which I personally liked just for everyday traction. Having had both now, I realize there is no mileage savings as of my results. I just bought a 242 transfer case that is a complete swap with no other changes to make this one I have now a full time 4-wheel drive again. What you are going to want to do is replace your 242 transfer case with a 231. All you have to do is make sure it's a 4 position shift like our model year. Cost is around $750. Mine will be coming out soon if your interested. I'll have no use for it after its out so I'd sell it for $400.

Old 03-05-2006, 06:13 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Craig, depending on where you live, the AWD is a good thing. If you drive in snow, ice, or if it rains a lot the AWD is a major benefit. The reason there is also a 4hi position is that in 4hi the center differential locks versus the AWD position where it's open.

Old 03-08-2006, 03:07 PM
DakinUK
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also agree with Horatio and dc252. Why would you want selectable 4wd over AWD? The gas savings are negligble as all the front drive train is being driven by the road when in 2wd, instead of by the engine when in 4wd so no savings. As also mentioned, when its just a bit slippery (wet road etc), you've got full traction with AWD but wet road isn't slippery enough to use 4wd as you'll get transmition wind up and you'll break something, not to say very dodgy handling. I can't imagine driving my 4.7 in the wet with only two lightly loaded wheels, trying to pull out of a busy t-junction. Save yourself a lot of time, money and hassle and keep the AWD!

Good luck,

Paul

Old 03-09-2006, 12:06 AM
db252

craigstockman,

If your really interested in changing your truck to 2wd with the option of 4wd HI and LO lock, I can help you. I just converted my 2000 Dakota to the All wheel drive transfer case today which is a 242 transfer case. The one I removed is a 231 and will fit without any other changes. They are completely interchangeable. Let me know since I will be selling it. It has only 60,000 miles on it.

Old 03-09-2006, 05:49 AM
craigstockman
Rookie

Hey everyone thanks for the great responses! I live in Montana so I can handle the roads and all, i say all, road conditions. I've lived their my whole life. but anyways if yall say there is no real benifit to the change over I will just leave well enough alone. Its just one of those things where more to go wrong. as it has already. who knows it could of just been by coincidence. thanks for all your help.

Quick Reply: dodgy AWD system