2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Bump Stops

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 09:17 PM
Dice38
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bump Stops

My 98 Dakota sport is lowered and is basically sitting on the bump stops. If you haven't figured at this point, it rides like HELL . I'm honestly afraid of speed bumps. I have to come to an almost crawl just to cross them. I bought this truck used from someone else and I was pretty much wondering what I could do the get it off the bump stops or at least smooth out the ride some without lifting it back up. Thanks for the help.

Old 03-08-2006, 12:05 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Bump Stops

without lifting it? Nothing short of getting a real lowering kit. Sounds like it's just got the torsion bars loosened up.

Old 03-08-2006, 09:54 PM
Dice38

Well the truck is sitting on about 4 inches of blocks. I'm thinking of takin an inch or so off each block and cutting about 75% or so off each bump stop. Im not really in the "fundage" to get a shackle kit and have it installed.

Old 03-09-2006, 12:01 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not familiar with 2wd suspensions, is the spring on bottom, with a 4" block above that, and the axle on top of that? Yikes!

I don't know that there's going to be any good answer if you're dropping it that much. Stiffer springs and shocks, cut the bump stops, that's about all I can think of.

Old 03-12-2006, 03:34 AM
Tread

Depending on how it was lowerd, you have a few options.If they did it the wrong way and cut/heat the coil springs, and or left factory fit shocks on it, its still going to ride ruff..Now the bump stops will come off with a grinder. Blocks in the rear is fine as long as they didnt pull any of the rear leaf springs out, just make sure to check clearace of the axle and frame so they dont hit.

Also when any lowerd suspension its its going to ride stiffer, so you have to compromise for one or the other.

Old 03-12-2006, 03:45 PM
stantheman
Professional

just take the bump stops out and see how your ride is. a rough ride is sometimes something you have to deal with depending on how its lowered.

Old 03-15-2006, 02:01 AM
superbike27

The best way to fix your problem short of doing a new lowering kit is to remove the bumpstop bkts from the frame.

You will have to remove your upper control arms to gain access. Mark the location w/ a sharpie to ensure proper location for re-install. Grind the welds that hold the bump stop bkt to the frame and remove the bkt. Take care not to grind into the frame. This will gain you another inch or more of down travel to help your problem. Buy a couple of bumpstops from a Fabtech dealer that they use in their dakota A-arm kits. They are a nice custom bump stop because they are a 2" dia urethane bump w/ a threaded shaft on the back side. After removing stock bkt reinstall the upper control arm and find the spot on the frame where the original bkt was that will now contact the UCA metal to metal. this is where you can drill your hole in UCA and mount the Fabtech bumpstop. this will now ensure that you have addditional travel and also that in an over travel situation, you do not have metal to metal contact.

Old 03-15-2006, 02:03 AM
superbike27

by the way stantheman it takes more than shoes & amps to make a streetracer

Old 03-16-2006, 12:02 AM
stantheman
Professional

by the way, if you are talking about what is under my name then i didnt put that there. All it is is to rate how many post you have posted. And now it says dirt track racer! watch as you post more and you will notice that it will change under your name also.[sm=WTFsgign.gif]

Old 03-17-2006, 12:04 AM
batman13
Grand Champion

Did you say "blocks" as in there are more than on on each corner?
I hope not,
What else is used to lower it? short springs, short shocks?
If you're gonna lower anything that much, you will need all new components, shocks, springs, If you use blocks you can keep the stock leaf springs
I would reccomend new bump stops first,
If you really want better ride quality slammed four inches, I would toss the big blocks because they are a little dangerous, You can get lowering leaf spring packs and use smaller blocks, definitely upgrade your shocks if you haven't already.

and to Mr. superbike. focus on the problem at hand,

________
ChicagoFan cam

Last edited by batman13; 09-03-2011 at 04:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Bump Stops