2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Is it possible .. sluggish

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 09:00 PM
DOrtiz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it possible .. sluggish

Greetings everyone!!

I own a 2004 Dodge Dakota 4x4 4.7L Quad Cab. I just installed a factory K&N stock filter replacement to hopefully add a little more umph to the vehicle. However, I notice on occasion the truck appears sluggish. I also installed dual glass pack straight flo mufflers for that nice deep sound (which it does). However, sometimes I feel as though I get more "sound" and LESS movement. It's almost like the old days when a carb would flood (if that makes any sense). Oh, it's not flooding, stalling or the like .. it just seems to be missing that kick.

What's odd is that kick is sometimes there, and sometimes not. I find myself having to drive (local streets) with the over-drive turned off because it seems to help a tad on the low end. Another thing I noticed is it seems to respond better with 89 octane gas vs the recommended 87 octane. Anyone experience this problem and if so can anyone suggest a remedy (if one even exists)?? I'm considering going with the cold air K&N intakle conversion kit, but thought I'd post here before I spend another $300.00 bucks (on top of the $55.00 I spent for the stock replacement).

Thanks for your feedback, and valued advise. Here he is, though you can only see part of him:

Regards,
Dave

Old 04-19-2006, 07:47 AM
DOrtiz
Default RE: Is it possible .. sluggish

Thanks for the feedback!

Old 04-19-2006, 10:46 PM
DOrtiz

Gosh, is anyone here and willing to help??

Old 04-19-2006, 10:57 PM
jnellydodge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That K&N kit will allow your motor to breathe alot better, especially with that exhaust that you have on there now.....however it probably wont make any noticable difference performace wise. IDK why it would seem sluggish sometimes and not sluggish other times, that is weird. Perhaps your fuel injectors are for some reason dirty, or maybe the plugs need to be replaced. Just check the little things like that out, never hurts. I would say that if it is NOTICABLE and there is a FOR SURE difference with the performance from one time compared to another, then it is more than likely a fuel issue.

Old 04-20-2006, 08:46 PM
DOrtiz
Default Thank you JnellyDodge

Thats for the reply and valued information.
Regards,
Dave

Old 04-20-2006, 09:58 PM
jnellydodge
Record Breaker
Default RE: Thank you JnellyDodge

I looked into some other issues on this forum, and would like to second my own opinion that it is in fact a fuel issue. Dump some injector cleaner in your tank, or have the injectors cleaned by a Jiffy Lube or somewhere who could do it cheaper. See if that helps. Also that K&N wouldnt hurt either, if you wanna spend the money. It'll make your truck sound mean, and maybe even boost your mileage/performance a slight bit.

Old 04-20-2006, 11:11 PM
jnellydodge
Record Breaker

If that doing that does not fix the problem post again hahahaha!!!!

Old 04-22-2006, 12:06 PM
DOrtiz
Default WOW -- what a DIFFERENCE!!!

Hi Guys!!

Well, as some of you may know -- I've been experiencing some performance issues recently. Yesterday (at the advice of others here) I had 1/4 tank full and I decided to give Hess 93 octane a run for the money (no pun intended).

I filled up with 93 OCTANE and off to pick-up my daughter I went. It could very well be my imagination, but within 15 minutes of driving I could almost feel smoother idling, better acceleration, and (get this) a different hum on those dual glass packs. Again, it could very well be WISHFUL thinking on my part, but it sure seemed different. I also poured some Gumout fuel treatment just in case (hope I don't damage anything by doing that - fingers crossed).

Having said this, can it be possible the fuel octane can make such a difference even though the owner's manual "recommends" 87 octane and goes on to say that higher octane will not likely produce better performance AND in some cases reduce performance? This is odd, so I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on this.

Thanks again, I really appreciate your valued feedback.

Regards,
Dave

Old 04-22-2006, 02:05 PM
batman13
Grand Champion
Default RE: WOW -- what a DIFFERENCE!!!

higher octane burns hotter, increasing pressure in your chambers.
that creates performance
the higher temp however, after prolonged useage, will cause exessive wear and tear.
putting the fual treatment in with the higher octane will mean your injectors are super clean
and any grime inside probably got torched like a witch in salem
________
Cheap glass bongs

Last edited by batman13; 09-03-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-22-2006, 03:01 PM
jnellydodge
Record Breaker
Default RE: WOW -- what a DIFFERENCE!!!

ORIGINAL: DOrtiz

Hi Guys!!

Well, as some of you may know -- I've been experiencing some performance issues recently. Yesterday (at the advice of others here) I had 1/4 tank full and I decided to give Hess 93 octane a run for the money (no pun intended).

I filled up with 93 OCTANE and off to pick-up my daughter I went. It could very well be my imagination, but within 15 minutes of driving I could almost feel smoother idling, better acceleration, and (get this) a different hum on those dual glass packs. Again, it could very well be WISHFUL thinking on my part, but it sure seemed different. I also poured some Gumout fuel treatment just in case (hope I don't damage anything by doing that - fingers crossed).

Having said this, can it be possible the fuel octane can make such a difference even though the owner's manual "recommends" 87 octane and goes on to say that higher octane will not likely produce better performance AND in some cases reduce performance? This is odd, so I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on this.

Thanks again, I really appreciate your valued feedback.

Regards,
Dave

+1

The Gumout wont hurt a think either, no worries there.

Quick Reply: Is it possible .. sluggish