2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Daytime Running Light Mystery

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 01:37 AM
brbcbrent
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daytime Running Light Mystery

Hey all, I've been in and out of this site for months now getting tips and advice from everyone else's posts so I finally decided to join and add my riddle to the list.

I just installed driving lights on my 01 Dakota (it came with the molded plastic pockets) and I want to be able to run the driving lights with the parking lamps only, so far the only way I've been able to shut down the daytime running lamps is to shove the parking brake on just enough that the lights turn off, the only problem with this set-up is that pesky flashing brake light.

I haven't been able to locate a fuse or relay for the running lamps to shut them off, either in the dash cluster or under the hood. Anyone have any ideas as to how to disengage the runnning lamps without resorting to wire cutters?

Old 06-10-2006, 03:55 AM
lil
Captain
Default RE: Daytime Running Light Mystery

Driving lights? are you talking about the fog lights in the lower front bumper ?

Old 06-11-2006, 01:10 AM
brbcbrent
Rookie

semantics....that's the location though. I always thought of fog lights as yellow and driving lights as white, I guess the confusion was in my distinction. I am talking about the 3" round lights inset in the front bumper.

Old 06-11-2006, 02:55 AM
lil
Captain

Ok that is what I was thinking, if yours are "stuck" on all the time you wired something up wrong and I guess you didn't use a seperate switch.....the Dakota's that come with them as an option you can turn them on with just the parking lights or with your low beams.

Old 06-12-2006, 02:56 AM
brbcbrent
Rookie

The fog lights aren't the issue, they're wired up fine. I'm wanting to disengage the daytime running lights; the headlights that come on when you start up the truck. Some states don't require them (not sure if CA is one of them) so if you don't know what I'm talking about it might be b/c your state doesn't require the factory to install them.

Old 06-12-2006, 02:01 PM
lil
Captain

Ah ok I thought I was going crazy here hehe......yeah the are not required here sorry for my confusion.

Old 06-12-2006, 02:25 PM
OneBadKota
All Star

I've not seen a set like it, however.. I am sure there would be a relay switch along the lines of the lights.. if you can find it. I would recommend getting a Haynes or Chilton manual for the truck.. good to have all-round. Not sure if it would show the wiring for that (it should) but it's useful for any issue to come up.

Old 06-13-2006, 02:56 AM
RP Racing940
Record Breaker

Well heres something to think about. How much of a stickler are the local cops with burnt out headlights? Fog/driving lights do have more of a chance to burn out than the headlight bulb.

But if you just are looking to move the DRL's from the headlights to the fog/driving lights, you just need to backtrack the wiring diagram from headlights to the DRL and move the drl light output wire to the fog/driving light wire. My haynes manual doesnt have canadien models listed so my book isnt of help to ya.

Quick Reply: Daytime Running Light Mystery