2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Replacing a head w/ new aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 04:31 AM
Mikeys
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing a head w/ new aftermarket

Hey guys, I just bought a head from a place called Clearwater Head and they showed this new 3.9 V6 Magnum head for $225.00 exchange. I emailed to even make sure it was new and not reman (they just want the core back) and they guy said new, never in any thing. Anyway, it comes with a two year warranty and I just got it in to take over to the Dodge dealership that is doing the work and I was looking the head over and notice that the exaust valves (looking in the exhaust port) was covered in carbon and two of them had some pretty big grooves in them where I guess the keepers where from a different engine. I love this truck and want only the best which is why I took it to Dodge (could buy their head because I screwed up a exhaust manifold bolt hold trying to get a broken one out). My question is, has anyone every used these folks and had good luck with them?? If money where not object what would you do, take this new head and have a shop install some new valves or return the head back to Clearwater and try and have my old head repaired (which I think is possible)??

Old 08-20-2006, 04:47 AM
rhowe
Professional
Default RE: Replacing a head w/ new aftermarket

i call shannannigans!

Old 08-20-2006, 11:21 AM
OldDodgeDriver
Professional

According to their web page, Clearwater deals only with remanufactured heads. If the head you received went thru their "State-of-the-Art 3-Step thermal cleaning system and magnafluxing, followed by our unique submersible pressure testing tank which checks for final hidden cracks and imperfections" and it still has carbon and grooves on the valves I would want a refund or another head. BTW, why are you replacing only one cylinder head?

Old 08-20-2006, 10:39 PM
Mikeys

That is what I thought, I thought there should be no reason for this "New Head" to still have carbon and grooves on the valves. I think I am going to return it since they knew about my dissatisfaction from the begging. The reason for reaplacing one head is because the right head had two broken exhaust manifold bolts in it and also broke two ease outs in them and then tried to torch one out and screwed it up pretty bad. The head was running fine, as with the reast of the engine, just had the exhaust leak from the broken manifold bolts. If you look a little closer, you will see that they offer new aftermarket heads with a two year warranty, but who cares if they are going to put old dirty valves in it.... kind of makes you wander how long this head will last. I'm sure they won't pay any labor if the head goes bad, they would probably just replace it and costing $650 to replace this thing is something I don't want to chance. I'm going in the morning and get the new head back from the dealer before they put it on and return it to Clearwater and I'm going to try and have my original head's manifold bolt holes repaired even if it takes a Heli Coil to fix it I would rather go back with my original. If the bolt holes are able to be fixed, I will have the head completely rebuilt with new valves, etc. What do ya think??

Old 08-20-2006, 11:01 PM
OldDodgeDriver
Professional

I have broken more than a few exhaust bolts but always got lucky with drilling and getting out with an easy out. I did have to use a heli-coil once and it must have worked cause I never had any problems with it. I like the idea about using the original head because I have heard of problems when there are old/new heads on v-style engines. Are you going to let the Dodge boys fix your original head or do you have to do the work?

Old 08-20-2006, 11:21 PM
Mikeys

I actually have a friend that runs a diesel machine shop and I'm going to let him repair my head. The Dodge boys are only puting it on and taking it off.

Old 08-21-2006, 06:15 AM
titan2087
Veteran

Why not get a nice new set of gibson stainless steel or ceramic coated headers?? there good brand and they sound quite nice. Plus there backed with a good warrenty. http://www.gibsonperformance.com/pro...&model=299#299

Old 08-21-2006, 10:46 AM
Mikeys

Because we are talking about replacing a head, not a exhaust manifold.[sm=icon_beat.gif]

Quick Reply: Replacing a head w/ new aftermarket