2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Which intake is better?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 04:33 PM
ckm110789
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which intake is better?

Well I was woundering which intake style is better...The Short Ram Intake that I have on their now...Or the big round ones that sit on top of your throttle body?

Old 08-25-2006, 05:27 PM
Chris
Record Breaker
Default RE: Which intake is better?

as far as the flow of air, they are very similar. (assuming you are going to be using the same manufacture's filter and the diameter piping of the ram air is at least 3") the difference is the source of air. the farther away from the motor and engine bay, the cooler and more dense the air becomes. if you were to run a "big round ones that sit on top of your throttle body" there are functional ram air hoods that will allow cool air to be accessed easier with that style filter. the short ram air systems due utilize a large amount of air, as do the other systems, but it is air that is captured in the engine bay which will be naturally hotter than outside air. the only ram air unit i have seen that accesses cooler air is the k&n unit that has an engine bay seperator wall. the other option is to run cold air intake (CAI). the most popular routing for CAIs is piping which passes from the throttle body, through the area where your stock airfilter is currently located, and down behind the front cowl. (the filter would be located directly behind your passenger side fog light) as far as better or worse, i would say that a throttle body mounted intake with ram air hood, or CAI is the way to go. i hope this helps.

chris

Old 08-25-2006, 05:56 PM
ckm110789

yea i really wanted to go cold air...but all the CAI i saw where soo expensive..so i went on ebay paid 20 bucks on a SRI then someone gave me a K&N Filter for the end of it and ive bin running it like that....i dont think right now atleast that imma put a diff hood that would benift the Circular intake but the SRI I have on their now the filter is right behind my passenger side headlight...its prob about 6 inches away from it...so its pretty far off of the engine but not yet quiet a cold air

Old 08-25-2006, 06:13 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

another option is to go to your closest pep bos and purchase another section of pipe to connect to your existing one and run it yourself. less $$$ and just as much functionality!

Old 08-25-2006, 06:26 PM
ckm110789

alright...another quick Q...i want to get a 5.9l throttle body...will i have to go with a bigger intake system

Old 08-25-2006, 06:36 PM
tsh3406

My previous truck was a '97 Dakota, 318, set up with a 16x3 K&N open element sitting under a single opening ram-air hood. I currently run a Trueflow intake modified to function as ram-air in an '03, 4.7l Dakota. Both trucks 4x4, similar tire size, '97 was ext. cab, '03 is 4 door. Both set-ups provided noticable, and similar, performance gains with other minor modifications. I do a lot of driving in adverse conditions and this is where I noticed the dfference. The K&N element is oiled cotton, originally designed for race tracks the Trueflow is oiled foam and is intended for off-road use. The K&N element wore very thin after 20,000 miles in the ram-air set-up. K&N said the element was not covered under their warrenty because is was used in a modified system in, and not as intended. I agree with what Virused said, as long as either one is taking in cold air, you will not be able to tell the difference. The ram-air hood was cool, but I will not put another K&N or similar filter on a 4x4 truck. This is based only on my personal experience and manufacturer input, but I thought I would share it. I think this will answer your question, if not, I'll try again.

Tim

BTW, This has been done by myself and several others here, you can remove the rubber barrier between the radiator and passenger headlight to let more outside air into the engine compartment and to your filter.

Old 08-25-2006, 06:45 PM
ckm110789

alright yea...glad u told me about hte rubber thing between radiater and headlight...but i dont really use my truck as on off road vehicle...its more of a street racing application...so the i will take the rubber off and it should be good with my SRI..but if i went cold air and i actually had it running by my fender it would sometime soak of moisture and would cause my car to stumble a little...so if i went cold air how could i fix that

Old 08-25-2006, 06:51 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 08-25-2006, 07:05 PM
tsh3406

What I am running now is real close to what Mean Green has done. I'm sure he can back this up, it works great, and moisture seems to have no effect on it. Been in a raging downpour and never had an issue with it.

Tim

Old 08-25-2006, 07:43 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

what i have done and have been very pleased with is take a k&n filter to replace your stock filter. take the front of your stock air filter housing off and replace it with any type of tubing you prefer. (in my case i took aluminum hosing used for your typical dryer air line) run this line from the front of your intake box and into the passenger side fender wall. this is air that is at an outside ambient temperature and it has worked great for me. i do a decent amount of off roading so most other options will not work for my application. the air inside the fender will not recieve moisture unless you have removed the plastic inner fender guard, and cut through your metal inner fender guard. please let us know what you decide to do.

Quick Reply: Which intake is better?