2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Advice, tips and suggestions needed!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 12:03 AM
DakotaSport
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice, tips and suggestions needed!

Well, i'm 17,I just bought a Black 00 Dakota Club Cab 3.9L 5Speed.
So Far, it has (I don't know brand) Dual exhaust, 2.5" all the way to 3 1/2" tips, dont know what stock inches were, but i'm taking out the cat and putting a high flow racing cat, maybe 4-4 1/2" tips. It also has air intake, im stuck with the eagle racing rims for now, planning on upgrading to black or darker street rims, everyone tells me I should cause my truck is black in and out.
Also, i'm looking at some Edlebrock exhaust headers(Will they really help me??)...anyone know a site for valve covers for this engine?... im going to upgrade the spark plug system too. someone told me about port and polishing the intake manifold will help(dont have enough $$ for the whole engine)...
im upgrading the sound system and I hafta have a sub.

Well, its not a powerfull super V8 or anything, its what im stuck with and I have some money to do stuff.. any gas saving tips or mods will help too.

I might be thinking of some other stuff I might do, but oh well
I would just like advice on anything about these trucks, the engines, helpfull tips, other mods/upgrades, performance, just about anything... i'd really appreciate it..

well, I guess I'll post a pic of it... these will be pics before I do stuff to it........ I can't see the pic????
[IMG][/IMG]

Sorry, i'll get better full images of it.

Old 08-29-2006, 12:23 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Advice, tips and suggestions needed!

Welcome to the dodge family! You need the link for the pic all you have is img tags there. There are a lot of links on this site that will have stuff for you. You can get a new throttle body from www.thefastman.com it is usually the next thing to upgrade after CAI and exhaust. I have heard you may be able to put a v8 throttle body on those v6's though too and then that would be cheaper as you could pick one up from the junkyard or something since it can't really break. A few other sites to check out are www.autotrucktoys.com, www.jcwhitney.com. Just do a google search on parts you'll get all kinds of places. After ther TB get a superchips programmer or some other programmer of your choosing. Happy modding let us know how it goes.

Old 08-29-2006, 02:19 AM
DakotaSport
Professional

thanks for the welcome! I have been into Dodges for awhile, you have the 360. Nice.
really? a 8cyl throttle body on a v6? That would prolly increase air flow alot for it.. ANYONE else know anything about that? I guess if I switched throttle body i'd need to change air intakes.. man I just bought a new one
Sorry, im a Newb.. whats TB?
A superchips programmer.. hmm i've heard good and bad things about them, but might be difforent stuff, i'll check them out.

I found these 3" lowering springs, anyone know about lowering? tips? what about the rear? can u just take some of the leaf springs off?

anybody have any other tricks or mods for this? lol my friend wants to turbo it but my Dad wont let me [X(]

Old 08-29-2006, 02:50 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

Nice truck! welcome to DF... there are plenty of mods you can do... some cheep, some not so cheep. post a new thread when your ready for something and the DF family will help you out.

Old 08-29-2006, 02:55 AM
DakotaSport
Professional

thanks! I just posted this cause im new and was wondering if anyone could give me advice and ideas for my truck, mostly engine and performance wise...

Old 08-29-2006, 03:07 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

JBA is the only company that i know of that makes the v6 headers and summit racing.com has them for about $450 IIRC. If you have dual exhaust and it's 2.5" out... it's way too big. you wont have enough flow to keep low end high enough for decent mileage... my suggestion would be to kneck the outputs down to at the most 2.25"... that is what the v8's need, yours maybe 2.125". you should experiment with it.

great mods are:
v8 TB, 50mm max, you can get a TB out of a wrecking yard, change the linkage if you need to so it will work on your setup. they are good for 8~10 HP from an expert v6 motorhead I know of.

1.7 roller rockers... you will need to modify the valve covers (have to stay with the stockers, sorry there are no aftermarks for th v6) meaning you'll have to knock the splash guard down a bit so they will fit without hitting.

mod your intake... cut the runners down some... .75~1.0" will help it breath beyond 3500 rpms. the magnum motor has a hard time breathing beyond the 3500 mark

AEM (??) i think makes a cold air intake kit for the 3.9 motor... if you get one or it already has one, you can make a shield for it so it does not suck in hot engine compartment air. the colder the air the more HP you'll make

180 deg t-stat... only way to go.

power pulleys... I dont remember who makes them but they are available for the 3.9 motor.

this should be enough to get you started... happy wrenching...

oh yeah, btw, the plenum gasket sucks (bottom fo the intake manifold) and the timing chain is junk... both should be changed (felpro gasket and an aluminum belly pan for the intake) and a good double roller chain for the front of the motor.

Old 08-29-2006, 03:19 AM
DakotaSport
Professional

hmm... maybe because my exhaust is to big im not getting decent gas mileage... im not lasting a week or a week at most with it... that dousn't really make sense but ok...

mod my intake? what r the runners n stuff?

ok.. im looking up the other stuff.. did u look at my other post? im having some problem with it

Old 08-29-2006, 05:37 AM
DakotaSport
Professional

what do you guys have to say about a Stage II JET Performance Chip? just wondering about em...

Old 08-29-2006, 05:57 AM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Stage 2 chips are for moded engines, good air flow, and good flowing exhuast, with some minor other mods like 180 thermo and such, i think with a stage 2 you also have to run 93 octane i might be wrong.

Stage 1 are for more stock engines, if you plan on upgrading the exhuast and stuff then i would go with a stage 2, stage 1 i think uses 89 octane,

if i where you i would go with a programmer they let you do more and you can change alot more options. Lift the topend, on some trucks you can change the gear ratio. Make tyour gears longer and raise the rev limiter so it doesnt redline so low i think its about 5.2 on mine i raised it to 5.7.

Chips are good though, but a programmer gives you more control and you can always reset it to stock if you want if you have problems with it.

I have a hypetech III programmer for my truck, im thinknig of selling it and geting a better one that allows me to change more settings. You can get a programmer for about 250-400 and chips useally run about 230-320 and useally a chip requires a 180 thermo. thats an extra 10 bucks. But you should have a 180 no matter what your doing.

Old 08-29-2006, 12:58 PM
DakotaSport
Professional

I have good airflow, someone said my outlet on exhaust is to big, I think its 2.5" to 3 1/2 tip, i'll check the size in alittle bit

ya, I was only looking at the chip because it was 240, all the programmers I can find for my 3.9L are like 400 bucks.. do the 5.2L and 5.9L programmers work for it??

BTW, I met somebody that swapped the TB with a Magnum V8 TB and it made it worse in the top end, had trouble passing people or somthing? weird...

Quick Reply: Advice, tips and suggestions needed!