2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

heatercore is leaking

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 04:32 AM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default heatercore is leaking

ok first my a/c clutch went and now my heater core is gone. on my way home from work last night I started to smell coolant when I put my defrost on. but I never thought anything about it cause I was too tired. then when I went to get into the truck in the morning I noticed a big puddle of coolant underneath my truck. I dont think the a/c being disconnected would have caused it to go. cause I had to bypass the a/c compressor cause all it did was make a grinding noise. and it will leave a trail of coolant where ever I go. and I dont think my accident would have caused it. but you never know. I gotta take it back to the bodyshop thursday anyways to get them to but my bumper on better, cause it looks like it's gonna fall off.[:@] maybe I'll see if they will fix it through the insurance.

It seems like one thing after another, IM GOIN TO BUY A TOYOTA lol j/k.

but seriously how hard is it to change the heatercore? I've changed one in my old '74 F250 and it was easy. but this one looks like it will be hard. would it just be a weekend job? or a mechanics job?
________
Prilosec classaction

Last edited by jonnymagnum; 05-08-2011 at 02:46 AM.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:15 AM
RP Racing940
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: heatercore is leaking

AC has nothing to do with coolent leaks since its not filled with coolent at all. The whole dash has to come out to get the core replaced. Theres no shortcuts either due to the crappy design. Did this 5 times (last 3 I did myself) in 2.5 yrs with my dakota (which will be the last dodge I'll ever buy). It will cost around $700-1200 to replace the core depending on who does it. Theres alot of wires and plugs to undo. Steering column needs to eb dropped, airbag sensor under the dash is a PITA to disconnect, the heater box has to be unbolted from the engine compartment. Basically get a manual, read the procedure and decide if you can do this job yourself. You should have an extra set of hands since the dash is bulky.

Old 08-30-2006, 03:14 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion

That sucks that you have to drop the dash to get the damn thing out. I don't think I'm even gonna attempt it. I don't have enough patients for that, and I usually break more stuff when I'm trying to fix something.

So this sounds like a common problem for dakotas eh. you think they would have made them easier to get at. thats why I like older trucks. anyways I'll get a quote from a mechanic and se how much I have to save up.

Since it leaks on the outside, it should hurt it too much if I leave it for a week or two until I save up enough money. as long as I keep checking the rad.
________
oxygen vaporizer

Last edited by jonnymagnum; 05-08-2011 at 02:46 AM.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:04 PM
Mean Green
Champion

If it is leaking on the outside I couldn't see how that could be your heater core if your heater core was leaking it would all be inside the cab. You may just need to get a new hose. Also if it is your heater core that is leaking you can always splice the coolant lines going into and out of the heater till it's fixed to avoid more coolant leaking inside you dak. I did a heater core change in my 92 taurus and it was a PITA but was very straight forward. If you are mechanically inclined it will take you a while but can be done in a day the only special tools you might need are a/c line pullers but rp could verify that for you. For 700-1200 bucks I would do it myself... Where do you live? I'll do it for 400.

Old 08-30-2006, 09:59 PM
RP Racing940
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Mean Green

If it is leaking on the outside I couldn't see how that could be your heater core if your heater core was leaking it would all be inside the cab.

Actually theres a drain in teh heater box that exits in front of the firewall so it drains most of it outside. If it was an external leak you wouldnt generally smell coolent when you use the defrost.

Old 08-30-2006, 11:27 PM
Mean Green
Champion

Got ya rp. I have smelled coolant before in my truck from a leaky radiator cap but I guess I had my windows open.

Old 08-30-2006, 11:28 PM
DakotaSport
Professional

hmm, how dous it brake? dous it just go out? I dont want to happen on my truck, to much money.. i dont even know what it is

Old 08-30-2006, 11:34 PM
Mean Green
Champion

It rusts through mostly just keep your cooling system clean and at the levels it's supposed to be and for the most part you'll be fine.
Maybe try some alumaseal if it's a small leak just don't use too much as you can clog up your cooling system...

Old 08-31-2006, 03:54 AM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion

I just noticed that it is leaking in side too. my floor is soaked. i was thinking on trying some barsleak. it suppose to fix holes in you radiator. but some people say it could clog up. and being its a new radiator I don't want to mess it up. I am pretty mechanically inclined, but I have a bad temper when stuff doesnt go the way I want it to.[:@] and also I have a bad memory when it comes to taking stuff apart. I can never seem to get it back together right. its either I am missing parts or have parts left over.

I live in canada. I would love to pay some one $400 to fix it. I might try it but I havent decided yet. I just dont like the idea of pullin the dash out. and right now I dont have $1,000 just laying around to fix it. I still havent fixed my a/c yet![:@]

so do you think I should just re-route the line back to the engine then for the time being. I know atleast that wont be too hard.

the heater core in my 74 f250 was soo easy. it took me 1/2 hour! this one looks like an all weekend job.

so now I have no a/c and no heat![:@] oh well I still love my truck. and thanks for all the info. I think im gonna buy a haynes manual tomorrow to see all what I have to do.
________
Cheap vaporizers for sale

Last edited by jonnymagnum; 05-08-2011 at 02:47 AM.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:16 AM
RP Racing940
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: jonnymagnum

I still havent fixed my a/c yet![:@]

I'd recommend getting the heat fixed before the a/c. Sucks *** driving in 5C weather with the windows dow to prevent the windshield from fogging over due to no heat.

Also to replace the core the a/c has to be discharged anyways. Dumb design by the wonderfull engineers at Detroit who never picked a wrench up in their life.

Quick Reply: heatercore is leaking