2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Supercharger Question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 04:58 AM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Supercharger Question.

If i wanted to run a 8-10lbs boost Supercharger, would i have to fordge the pistons and such? Or would 8lbs be enough to just run it normal without fordging anything, and what other mods should you have done before you even think about adding a SCer?

I want to do it, but im affaid ill mess up the engine. My friend hade a crate 402 in a R/T CC and he had it superchagerd for 3 days before he had to replace the engine. It blew it in 3 days.. he had the SCer laying in his shed for like 1 year and like 2 months before i get my r/t he sells it for like 700 im like DOH i should of bought that it was only used for 3 days and it was in perfect condition.

Old 08-31-2006, 05:47 AM
DakotaSport
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Supercharger Question.

DUUDE!! 700 bucks??????........... you lazy white boy, you shoulda got up and bought it! thats dirt cheap!!

but oh well.... you should twin turbo it.

Old 08-31-2006, 06:39 AM
lil
Captain

How many miles do you have on your current engine?

Old 08-31-2006, 08:06 AM
RP Racing940
Record Breaker

Forged or cast @ 8 psi really shouldnt be an issue. Higher I would go forged AND lower the compression accordingly. Thats just from building turbocharged motors back in the early 90's. Hell we turbocharged a chevette with around 100K on the motor (yes we tried to blow tat damn thing up and it just kept chuggin along.)

Old 08-31-2006, 03:54 PM
DakotaSport
Professional

hahaha you turbo charged a Chevette? thats funny and cool. what was your setup? I woulda liked to see that.

For awhile I had been researching turbos for a car because, I thought I was gettting a car, but from what i've seen, heard and i have talked to many people about Turbo, ive done alot of research(and for nothing) and max is between 8-12lbs on most stock(exhaust, ECU, no engine work)4 cylinder engines (Hondas, Mitsu, Nissan, Toyota yada yada), now it may be difforent with the Mopar engines and Superchargers I guess, I have seen Mopar Engines overheat alot, so make sure you can keep the engine cool as possible
ALSO, your supercharger kit will prolly come with these, BUT make sure it has good aftermarket Fuel Injectors, because alot of cars ive seen led to not getting enough fuel and things just dont work out.

Take the Pontiac Grand Prix for instance, the GTP had the 3800 Series II engine, and was supercharged pushing 30HP over, but when miles started getting high, alot of things went wrong with it. they suffured alot of problems with the engine, all because of poor fuel injectors.

but this is just some info that i've gathered and im not experienced so I could be wrong on some or most things.......

Old 08-31-2006, 04:41 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: User2006

If i wanted to run a 8-10lbs boost Supercharger, would i have to fordge the pistons and such?
whenever you are running forced induction, there are certain criteria you need to meet and if you dont, detination is in your future. first of all, are you planning on truly running between 8 and 10 psi and how many miles do you have on the dak? if you have over 130k, i would advise against the build simply because you will need to replace a lot of hardware to make this project happen. what kind of budget are you working on? at minimum, i would replace piston rings and check pistons and rods for longevity and wear. your profile says you reign out of dallas so rust shouldnt be an issue you would face. what kind of supercharger kit are you going with? i would recommend a "roots" type supercharger that runs directly off of your surpentine belt. will you be porting the heads for increased flow? will you be installing the kit or having someone do it for you? are you mechanicaly inclined enough to see if your bottom end will be in good enough condition to handle the psi? the 5.9 is a pretty bulletproof motor so if you are reasonably sure that your motor is in top condition, running 8 psi shouldnt really be an issue. i have just seen people do the same project to their r/t's and they start out with 8-10 psi and have them running great! but before long, they end up increasing the boost until their motor pops like a water balloon in a house of needles. more info would be greatly appreciated so we can answer your questions fully. i am glad to see that you are not going with the turbocharging option. they are extremely powerful, but just as volatile if you don't know what you are doing. in the end, i say supercharger is definately the best bolt-on aftermarket part one can do. reliable and powerful, what more can you ask for? let us know more!

chris

Old 08-31-2006, 05:23 PM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My truck only has 75k Miles on it. I REALLY wish i could get ahold of the old owner and ask him some questions about the truck. Only becuase i have no idea what all he has done to the motor that i cant see from standing outside my hood. I know for a fact it is camed, rollers, fuel injected, m-1 intake, the headers are pretty nasty but there aftermarket and i got flowmaster exhuast with a cutout dump right before the cat, along with Ram Air intake with K&N Filter and a 180 thermo. Im not sure on suspension i think its stock, the buching have to be stock there starting to squeek and its REALLY anoying, every little bump i hit.

The truck is is pretty good working condition the motor is a beast and runs great. 2000 Dak R/T with 75500miles with some heavy and light engine work done to it.

Old 08-31-2006, 05:26 PM
DakotaSport
Professional

oh, wow you have alot more stuff done then I thought, ya so supercharge it!!!

Old 08-31-2006, 06:21 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

hoping that all the work done has been done correctly, you should be able to operate with 8 pounds of boost safely. just make sure to start low with the boost, grasshopper.

Old 08-31-2006, 09:26 PM
RP Racing940
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: DakotaSport

hahaha you turbo charged a Chevette? thats funny and cool. what was your setup? I woulda liked to see that.

Nothing more than we salvaged yarded a turbo unit from a old Dodge Colt turbo (whens the last time you seen one of those?). We rigged up teh exhaust (well neighbor welded it since my welding sucks). Made a box around the carb to seal it from leaks (cheeseball blowthrough setup). Funny thing was it got up and scooted.

Quick Reply: Supercharger Question.