2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Aftermark coil question?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 11:50 AM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermark coil question?

Looking for aftermarket coil recommendations for my Ram. Any recommendations?

Sorry, I should have mentioned earlier - Ignition Coil !! Sorry for the confusion

Old 09-05-2006, 06:13 PM
Chris
Record Breaker
Default RE: Aftermark coil question?

ORIGINAL: turkeyhunter1962

Looking for aftermarket coli recommendations for my Ram. Any recommendations?
are you looking for a lift coil? if so, are you going to purchase new control arms as well? the most lift you will be able to get out of just coils would be 2-3". you would definately need an alignment as well. i would go the better route which would be getting new cotrol arms/shocks/coils/bushings ect. www.fabtechmotorsports.com provides a great lift for your truck, along with many other manufacturers. you can find aftermarket springs on ebay for your truck as well, but once again, i would advise going the other route.

hope that helps!

chris

Old 09-06-2006, 03:12 AM
thakota

hey virused, what about leveling a 4x2? i dont really want to lift it but fabtech said if i used the coils springs i would also need the control arms yada yada.. any way to safely level a 4x2 with out shortening the life span of other parts?

Old 09-06-2006, 02:46 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

when it comes to leveling, a 2" aftermarket coil lift should do the trick. this will allow you to use your existing parts (shocks, arms, ect.) to level the truck. after an alignment you should be well within spec and i have friends who have use the spring with no accelerated wear on other front suspension parts (i.e. upper ball joints)check out this link to see an example on ebay of a leveling coil spring.

chris

Old 09-06-2006, 04:17 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys want to keep it on topic? Start a new thread if you want to talk about 2wd lifts.

There don't seem to be many choices in aftermarket coils for the Magnum engines. You might try in the Ram section of the board, since this is the Dakota area, but since they've got the same motors it shouldn't really matter.

I did find one coil on summitracing.com - it's an Accel brand 42k volt unit, but for a 2002 Dakota I'd also have to get a wiring harness adapter to make it fit since it's not a direct bolt in replacement.

Old 09-06-2006, 05:00 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

will do, thanks for your consideration horatio

Old 10-04-2006, 04:58 PM
RT360

I have the Accel and the adapter on my '99 Dak RT. With the MSD 8.5 Plug wires and a .050 gap I achieved the best mileage (with indexed plugs also) but I brought it down to .047 to be safe and get some life out of the ignition components. I did a lot of research on widening gaps with aftermarket coil and generally you can increase gap about .008 with most. I also got a NAPA brass cap and rotor ~$16 NGK V-power stock style, stock heat range plugs ~$1.60 ea. I believe the stock style work best as it puts the spark closer to the center of the combustion chamber and is not as shrouded as the popular Autolites. You want to keep the temps up to burn off fuel in the combustion process for best power and economy (go hand in hand). No fouling too. MY plugs are almost all white now. The truck picked up a very noticeable amount of torque at least. I recently did the crankshaft position sensor mod and still no detonation on 87 octane. I also run oil separators inline on the pcv system to prevent oil from fouling the intake charge and deposits in the combustion chamber. Deposits can bring on detonation. It's all relative and all this cost less than $220. I now get about 19 mpg around 45-60mph and have seen the mpg meter hit 22 on totally flat ground. Now I wish I could afford exhaust mods.

Quick Reply: Aftermark coil question?