2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Got stuck in the mud today..

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 02:00 AM
red9535
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got stuck in the mud today..

Sorry no pics. I guess I learned a valuable lesson today.. know the limitations of off-roading in your 2 wheel drive vehicle. I was offroading (illegally) at a nearby park, and tried to tackle something a little bigger then i could handle. Giant mud hole, in a ditch. Tried to go through the mud (which was a good 10 inches deep), up the ditch and back onto the road. Got stuck about halfway through. Tried to rock it back up first, that didnt work. The drive wheel was just spinning but it wasnt getting any traction.. just digging myself deeper. So i got some bark and some rocks, logs, anything.. put it under the tires for traction. Didn't work. Eventually 2 guys walking by tried to help me by pushing it to rock me out, standing in the bed, etc.. no go. So eventually I called AAA and they said they couldnt help me because i wasnt by an official road (i was off in the woods on a trail just ****ing around behind this park). So I figured i'd run out of options, and just called the sherriffs department. 2 police cars came, and scolded me for doing that.. said it was stupid and that the hole i tried to go through even a 4x4 truck would get stuck in. After a lot of scolding and lectures about how I've only had my license for 3 months (i'm 16), and how a reckless driving ticket would be really bad for my license and expensive.. he called a tow truck. He showed up in about 10 mins.

In the end, I ended up not getting a ticket for reckless driving and driving off of the main road, (which is a misdimeaner aparently), but he told me that the city might call us to repair the damage to the grass (even though ti was damaged already.. ****) $30 per square foot.. so a good 150 bucks anyway if they end up calling, but its way back i nthe middle of nowhere so i doubt they will. And I had to pay the tow truck guy $75 to pull me back up onto the road.

It was ****in awesome and totally worth it.. very fun. I just have to be more careful and know the limitations of my vehicle i guess. I'll post pictures of where i got stuck tomorrow.

Old 11-25-2006, 02:18 AM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Got stuck in the mud today..

I hate cops.

Old 11-25-2006, 02:30 AM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate cops most of the time.

last week I was down a back road and I was turning left and I did a huge fishtail and kept her sideways for 100+ feet back and forth. then I see this car come up on my *** real fast. who woulda thought it was a cop.[:@] well he put on his lighs and pulls me over and he told me to tell him a story. and I was like umm I got into the gas a lil bit too hard and it took along time to correct it. well he takes my liscence and insurance back to the car and gets on the phone and I think I'm screwed cause if I get one more point on my license then I lose them. plus my sticker expired a couple weeks ago cause it wont pass an e-test. then the cop comes walkin up to my trck and hands me my license and insurance. then he told me he's gonna let me off with a waorning and if he catches me again then he will charge me with a careless.[:@] so lets just say I havent been doing anymore fishtails or burnouts since.
________
Lovely Wendie

Last edited by jonnymagnum; 05-08-2011 at 03:52 AM.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:54 AM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Again.. I hate cops.

Old 11-25-2006, 04:19 AM
kurbycar32
Veteran

sometimes its good to be a jackass kid, cops seem to take pity on them

Old 11-25-2006, 03:28 PM
Twiztid
Veteran

cops are cool 90% of the time if your just honest with them. They do stupid **** to, they are human. I have been pulled over for going over 100+ on my bike several times and have only been warned about the dangers of driving fast. They were so nice because I did not give them any attitude at all and was 100% honest about my speed. One in particular pulled me over, asked how fast I was going, I said 75-80 (I was in a 55 at the time) and he replied with "good answer" and gave me a warning.

I guess I am getting old as I used to hate cops, but now I relize they are just doing what they are told.

Old 11-25-2006, 06:36 PM
red9535
Professional

Heres the pics. They don't really do it justice, but you get the idea.

I came in from the back and tried to go through that mud and up the ditch.

Like i said it doesnt really do it justice.. but that mud and water is about a foot deep.

Old 11-25-2006, 06:59 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea, I've run into some cops that I don't like. There are some I've met that were nice, however.

I got my truck stuck once (I've only taken it out twice). Stuck on base on the Hummer course . Had to have a Jeep pull me out. Got high-centered (we figured that out after I was pulled out, "No wonder it didn't want to go anywhere"). Lucky no cops or annoying people bothered me. Lesson learned: know how high your vehicle sits off the ground, and how high the dirt is where you want to go.

I also got my grandpas van stuck in a ditch a few weeks after getting my license (it was kinda snowy/icy out, and I was just being stupid). We just about had it out when the cops came. They called a tow truck to take it home (steam was coming from the engine) $175. Lesson learned: friends are nice, don't listen to cops, and don't do stupid things with vans.

Old 11-25-2006, 07:19 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are very few shady cops, most of the time people hate the cops because they themselves have done something to warrant a conversation with the law.

I'm a firm supporter of law enforcement, I have law enforcement memorial plates on my Dakota, and I've only been on the receiving end of a dumbass cop once.

I did get a ticket for "causing soil erosion and damage to vegetation" though, for a lot less than why you did there. Had it been just me, I wouldn't have been cited, but my buddy was ahead of me and did a lot more damage. It's not a big deal, my buddy's insurance company just laughed at it.

You got lucky. There's no way I would have called the cops on myself. I'd sooner call the tow truck myself, or a friend with a bigger truck.

Old 11-25-2006, 10:43 PM
LAKOTA169
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: User2006

I hate cops.
I'm sure the cops LOVE you, too.

Quick Reply: Got stuck in the mud today..