2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

twin turbo for the v6

Old 12-14-2006, 03:23 PM
Chris
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default twin turbo for the v6

Well, I posted about this a while ago and never got any responses. This seems like a viable way to turbocharge the 3.9 powerplant with enough psi to dramaticaly improve power/torque without raising psi to a point where detonation could occur. Once again, here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mitsu...69455329QQrdZ1

I realize you would need to run oil/coolant lines, an aftermarket intercooler of sorts, but for the price of the turbos, you are looking at a DIY turbo kit for under $700 which would be including the turbo, piping and intercooler. I do not believe you will be able to run a turbo controller/timer with these models, as they have an internal wastegate. The power would definately be high end, as I imagine that these would lag tremendously. I wish people had commented on this the first time I posted it, because I think we are sitting on a gold mine here as far as cheap forced induction goes.

I look forward to hearing people's opinions on this.

Old 12-14-2006, 03:37 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: twin turbo for the v6

$700 is pretty cheap for a turbo set up. I think it would help out the V6 alot. cause they do lack a bit of power. I'm just not a fan of the turbo lag. I would rather go with a supercharger or somethin like that.

but for $700 you cant go wrong
________
Gay movie

Last edited by jonnymagnum; 05-08-2011 at 04:32 AM.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:50 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

$700 is just a number I threw out. You could possibly do it for less than that if you can find an intercooler off of a wrecked truck/car for cheap.

Old 12-14-2006, 03:52 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

I guess the only thing that would present a major problem would be getting an exhaust manifold to work with the turbos. From the way it looks, they might be able to bolt right up to the header collectors with minor modification, however, this would create a very tight working space. I would need to see them up close and personal to be sure.

Old 12-14-2006, 03:58 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen some one who mounted there turbo back underneath the truck kinda where the cat is. it looked pretty sweet. iirc it was on a 2nd dakota.
________
DiamondKitten

Last edited by jonnymagnum; 05-08-2011 at 04:33 AM.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:04 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

A company called STS turbos specializes in this kind of turbo system. Here is an example from their site:

http://www.ststurbo.com/gm_truck_install_pics

Old 12-14-2006, 04:24 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

Horatio, I am waiting for you to chime in.

Old 12-14-2006, 04:30 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

I sent the following e-mail to the seller about the turbos:

What modifications are needed to be able to run these on the dakota 3.9? Do you need to run both oil and coolant? Will the bolt up directly to the header collector, or will new headers need to be made? Is an intercooler needed with these turbos? Will I need a turbo timer/controller, or will the internal wastegate take care of itself? Am I forgetting anything else needed to run these turbos efficiently without spoiling the longevity of the motor?

I hope he doesn't respond with "Fu*k you for asking all of these damn questions!"

Old 12-14-2006, 08:03 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

I am still waiting to hear back from the guy, but after looking at the exhaust collectors, it will certainly be a tight fit. It appears that new exhaust routing would be needed to be able to make them fit. However, it is very hard to tell the size of the turbos in the picture. If they are smaller, they might be able to slip right in.

Old 12-14-2006, 08:56 PM
DakotaStone
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been looking at the Electric SuperChargers. I'm not sure about them, but they claim that they add up to 30hp for anywhere from $100.00-$300.00. I'm considering that as a cheaper way to get power to my truck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: twin turbo for the v6