2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

So where is this ellusive Governor Pressure Sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 01:04 PM
Bob The Great
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So where is this ellusive Governor Pressure Sensor?

I'm the proud new owner of a 97 V8 Dakota with a 4spd Auto. I bought it with a check-engine light, which turned out to be a single code.

P1764 - Governor Pressure Sensor volts too low /voltage less than 0.10V.

The transmission is obviously in limp mode, and it won't come out of 3rd gear no matter what. The fluid level and color are fine, and there are no other codes stored. I disconnected the battery, cleared all the codes, and that one came right back.

To me, a voltage-too-low code usually means there is a chaffed or broken wire somewhere in the circuit that is preventing the sensor from reporting. However, such things are hard to find when I don't even know which set of electrical wires goes to this sensor. Does anybody have any tips on where the governor pressure sensor actually is or which bundle of wires my multimeter and I should dive into?

I have a service manual on order, but I'd really like to get this solved as soon as possible. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 12-19-2006, 10:46 PM
RP Racing940
Record Breaker
Default RE: So where is this ellusive Governor Pressure Sensor?

Looks like its on teh valve body in the tranny. SO you probably have to remove the tranny oil pan.

Old 12-20-2006, 03:27 AM
Bob The Great

k, dumb question - I glanced under the truck, and didn't see a drain bolt on the trans oil pan. Surely I just missed it, right? it's gotta be there somewhere, or things will get real messy when I pull the pan.

Old 12-20-2006, 04:06 AM
varsis
Record Breaker

Your right it will get messy there is no drain bolt on these oil pans, I was thinking of installing one on mine as I have removed it about 3 times in a few months that I have owned it and the tranny just sucks no second gear I thought it would all be great but no so I will have to see. I don't have money for a shop so but Yes it is a messy job but remove the bolts from one side a slowly tilt it and it will keep it generally clean I managed to get most of mine in the pan. I got maybe 5-6 drops from run offs.

Old 12-20-2006, 12:23 PM
Bob The Great

wow, ok. Guess I'll lay out plenty of newspaper. Thanks for the tip about doing one side and tipping it.

Old 12-20-2006, 09:43 PM
Bob The Great

pulled the pan, replaced the sensor ($120 dealer only part [:@]) and put it all back together. The CEL is gone, and the truck drives beautifully. [sm=happy046.gif]

Old 12-20-2006, 10:09 PM
lil
Captain

ya might want to download the dakota 2001 manual I uploaded it has all the pictures and locations for the part you were looking for.....I know it is the 2001 manual for the most part it covers 98% of all the diff engines and trans from 97-04 4cyl. 6cyl and all 3 V8's

Old 12-22-2006, 03:46 PM
Bob The Great

looks like it's exceeded its bandwidth again. I'd really like to get ahold of that though.

Quick Reply: So where is this ellusive Governor Pressure Sensor?