2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Just a thought...

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 06:36 AM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Just a thought...

Ive been looking around and looking at Dodges future lineups and ****, and i was thinking since 2nd gen has been the best with the most options in style and engine type, why in the hell are dakota's so cheap, i mean i got my R/T for 8500 (10k) after it was all done, with ONLY 70k miles... and ive seen ones with only 40k go for like 8500, 9500.. shoudn't these trucks be worth more?

Another question is...

do you guys think the 2nd gen dakota R/Ts or in general all 2nd gen v8s will become a popular classic truck, as in value sky rocket, due to the fact that there great trucks and unique?

I was talking to another R/T owner the other day and he found his dak r/t for 5600 with 54k miles with a shaker hood on it already and exhaust.. if thats not a deal i dont know what is.. it was bright yellow also. 99 i think, it was cool, i was passing by and i noticed the truck so i stoped and was looking they came to the door and came out and we talked about our trucks for like 30min till i have to leave. It was cool...

But ya, just trying to start a conversation, its 2:30 am here and i have nothing else better to do...

but ya, just want to know what you guys think...

do you think the 2nd gen daks are going to be hot trucks one day, i know they are pretty popular at the moment. Everywhere i go, i useally end up talking about dakota r/ts with someone else. Its just one of those vehicles that when you look at it its makes you want to cry cuz its so beautiful...

even a guy with a Cevy SSr came up and said nice truck, i was talking to him and he said the only reason he got rid of his is becuase he needed more hp.. i was sad... he left dodge for a chev ;(

lol.. ill stop now..

Old 12-23-2006, 07:48 AM
lil
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Just a thought...

In a nutshell I think the Gen2 Dakota is by far the best looking of the Dakota's to date.....in 25 years I would be willing to bet they will be a classic truck....by then who knows if they will be making a truck that remotely resembles what we drive today.......I am glad they are not the price of the Toy's....maybe not as refinded as a Toyota but they drive more like a car to me.....that is NOT what I want in a truck.....I want raw power and sound......dependable but still a TRUCK.....I have mine as a daily driver but am seriously thinking of picking up another 02-04 with low miles and build it as more of a show truck that goes out for special occasions only.....I have driven and owned, Ford, Chevy, Toyota, Nissian and Dodge and still like Dodge the best....and of the Dodges I like the Dakota best.......If I was towing 20,000lbs. down the road I would drive a 3/4 or 1 ton, but since I don't why drive a tank when you can have all that power in a mid size REAL TRUCK that just looks so much better than anything else out there.....long live the Gen2 !! [sm=bounceybounce.gif]

Old 12-23-2006, 04:24 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the dakota r/t will be a classic truck, my 1987 buick grand national is a classic this year. i think they have to be 20 years or older. but by far the 2003 dak r/t are sweet looking. and the amount of performance and after market items out there are endless. most people part with there trucks so cheap do to financial problems. no need having something sit there if you can afford it.

Old 12-23-2006, 04:43 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree, the Gen 2 Dakotas were the best looking. GM, Ford, and Toyota compact/midsize trucks just don't look "truck" enough for me (and depending on body style, don't look like trucks, more like child's play toys).
Oh, I should have just got a Gen 2...

Old 12-23-2006, 10:40 PM
Minion
Professional

the gen 2 is by far the best looking of the trucks. but i dont think it will be considered a classic. classic like a60s-70smuscle car. but definatly a great truck. i like that it drives more like a carand it hadles way better than my other dakotas. my dakota has way more leg room than my dads 2007 silverado (drove today as is really nice but would rather have my r/t).

Old 12-25-2006, 04:26 AM
JBs DAK
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought my '99 4x4 ext-cab 318 3 weeks ago.
Paid 3 grand for it & I get a smile on my face every time I get in it.
I thought about a full size for a while but, didn't need it,.. This is perfect for my needs.
I can tow my mustang to the track, haul just about anything I need, tons of room inside.
Rangers, S-10's I wouldn't even consider owning.

Old 12-26-2006, 05:57 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

The 2nd gen, in my opinion, is the best looking of the dakota line. Will it become a classic? Of course. Anytime soon? Of course not. Just because a state designates a certain time for an auto to become a classic, doesn't mean it is. A classic is an auto that people look at and remember a different time, place andway of life. Given the right amount of time, I will look at a dakota driving down the street and remember some "Good old days", but until then, it is just a great looking American truck.

Old 12-26-2006, 11:05 PM
dodgedakota98luver
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah i think the 2nd gen dakota will eventually become a classic. the main reason i think this is the curvy design. you dont see to many vehicles that have some style to them anymore.

Old 12-27-2006, 12:03 AM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

what about value? Think it wil keep going down or go up?

Old 12-27-2006, 03:04 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

The value of anything is only what someoneis willing topay for it. In time the value will rise as they become harder and harder to find.

Quick Reply: Just a thought...