2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Problem with New Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 01:02 AM
jakebank
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with New Headlights

Ok so I just got new Super White headlights. I believe they are EuroLights. Well anyways I went to put them in and realized that it was going to be a pain in the ***. It looks like you have to take out the whole headlight to put the new bulbs in. So I took it up to the local American Car Care, and about an hour later they had them in. It was about 4 pm when they got done so I couldnt really tell how they were. So once it got dark I took it for a spin and the color tone is perfect and they are nice and bright, but they dont light up very far out in front of the truck. And when you click the high beams on the beam actually moves down instead of up. Anyone know what the problem would be? I think they might be out of aim now and I am thinking I should get them reaimed. Would that take care of high beam issue? And anyone know about what that would cost? Any help on this would be great. Thanks in advance.

Jake

2002 Dakota Sport 4.7L Magnum V8 Auto 4x4 Quad Cab

Old 01-22-2007, 01:17 AM
imnothot02
Record Breaker
Default RE: Problem with New Headlights

wrong bulbs and no you don't remove the whole headlamp...

Old 01-22-2007, 01:20 AM
jakebank
Rookie

9007's? And thats what it says in the owner's manual. I can't figure out why it would take the shop an hour to do it if they didn't have to do something more than twist it and pull the bulb. I could have done that. How do you do it then?

Its a 2002 Sport Quad Cab if that matters.

Thanks
Jake

Old 01-22-2007, 01:28 AM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

twist the bulb pull it out, find new bulb twist it in hook up power = done 10min TOPS... they drag it out for an hour becuase they get paid by the hour or they are lazy, or they had a lot of customers, or they dont know ****.

I put in some new Silverstars in mine, and it took me about 2 min to do.. in the rain... at autozone.. its not hard at all, and in no way should take 1 hour.

you pop your hood, look down at the back of the headlamp there will be a clip on the back of the light, unplug it twist the bulb right pull out.. pop the new one in hook up power and your done.. its that easy.. fogs are the same way.

Old 01-22-2007, 01:39 AM
jakebank
Rookie

No in my owners manual there are like 8 steps. You have remove screws and some other things. There is stuff in the way of getting right to the back of the headlight. I can't even get my hand to it. A little kid couldn't get a hand on the back. There must be something different. Do you guys have a V8? I dont know if its a little different. Ive changed headlights in my old truck and its cake if you can get to it. But you have to remove **** to get to these. That still doesn't solve my problem with the high beams either. Its really confusing. Im thinking we have something different.

Old 01-22-2007, 02:47 AM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: User2006

twist the bulb pull it out, find new bulb twist it in hook up power = done 10min TOPS... they drag it out for an hour becuase they get paid by the hour or they are lazy, or they had a lot of customers, or they dont know ****.

I put in some new Silverstars in mine, and it took me about 2 min to do.. in the rain... at autozone.. its not hard at all, and in no way should take 1 hour.

you pop your hood, look down at the back of the headlamp there will be a clip on the back of the light, unplug it twist the bulb right pull out.. pop the new one in hook up power and your done.. its that easy.. fogs are the same way.

yep, and yea read my sig, same truck, didnt read your first post all the way if they are those blue lookin things on ebay the bulb proaly isnt even in the base straight so this is why they arnt working correctly, get some silverstars, i do think the down tube for the air box was in the way but its about a 5 min job...

you should see what they charge for blinker fluid change oh man!

Old 01-22-2007, 11:24 AM
Erich_121
Veteran

The first time i changed my headlights i took the actually headlight housing off and everything. Only about 2 days ago when i had a blown bulb did i realize i could just reach in and unlock them, and pull the bulb out and change it. Took me about 10min in 8 degree weather.

Old 01-22-2007, 04:47 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

10 minute job, both sides, start to finish.

Old 01-22-2007, 06:32 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my first time changed mine was about 15 minutes and a good sized cut on my hand.and last time I did it, it was like 10 minutes.

Old 01-22-2007, 07:17 PM
Natedogg625
Record Breaker

I dont know what it was w/ my headlights but there was so much stuff in the way I had to remove the housing. Not sure what all the stuff was though.

Quick Reply: Problem with New Headlights