2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Sorry but need advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 12:01 PM
CL350RR
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sorry but need advice

Thank you for the links.
thesection you point out about sparkplugs is making a recommendation to use standard plugs in modified engines. they also mention that the standard plug acts like a colder range plug because it is "less susceptable to detonation", then they go on to mention that they "work especially well when using nitros or a supercharger". they make no mention of a stock engine.

your second link doesn't work.

I guess that the problem I am trying to get at is that to make a statement that platinum plugs in a dakota engine is a fairly broadclaim and I have yet to see it backed up.there are significant differences between the 4.7, the v6, and the otherv8s thatare installed in these trucks, and what works in one may not in another.

if you have a heavily modified engine, you run the risk of detonation and plug erosion and should certainly consider using a plug better suited to your setup, but for someone running a stock or lightly modified setup and daily driving it where detonation should be non-existant, there is no reason not to run a platinum plug for longer life.

Old 02-20-2007, 05:40 PM
jk240sx
Professional

Platinums are only good because you can go further between changes and IF you burn premium 93 octane. Go with Mfg spec plugs and don't burn premium unless you have to. on a side note, has anyone used an NGK plug in their Dak? Just curious. I come from a 4 banger Nissan mindset and NGK is the bomb in those.

Old 02-20-2007, 06:46 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have NGK V-power in mine and they work really good.

Old 02-20-2007, 08:30 PM
jk240sx
Professional

Thanks for the input Johnny. I'll put those in this weekend. Any input on wires? stock? NGK? thanks

Old 02-20-2007, 09:18 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just used napa wires. and they do pretty good. I didnt have alot of money at the time when I bough them. but I probly would have bought better ones. next time I'll be getting eitheraccel or mopar performance wires 8 or 9mm. anything was better then the origionals at 200,000kms[:@]

Old 02-21-2007, 02:04 AM
f0x672
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea im running the same as johnny.. NGK V-power with NAPA wires, runs like a champ.. arent ngk plugs pretty much the same as champion? their web sites are very similar

Quick Reply: Sorry but need advice