2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

A couple questoins on tires and a lift..

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007 | 03:42 PM
Chris
Record Breaker
Default RE: A couple questoins on tires and a lift..

ORIGINAL: 01dakota

The site I was on has them on sale and the normal price was $1050. It doesn't look like they come with new upper ball joints, or atleast it didn't specify that it does anyway. What I were to use the 2" kit and then add spacers on top of the coil springs? That would give me 4 inches and I still wouldn't need new upper control arms, as well as getting an extra 1" of lift. Even with buying the rear add a leaf and doing it this way it would still come in alot cheaper than the 3" kit. That would help me save a little cash so I could get the black procomp steelies from 4wheel customs and the bfg's I want. This method would also allow me to buy the stuff as time goes on instead of having to throw down 2 grand in one shot for the lift, wheels and sneaks.

Whats your opinion on this plan here?
They do come with new upper ball joints. As far as the 4" plan, good luck! Not only will getting that spring in, with the spacer, be nearly impossible, your alignment would be so completely out of whack, that you would never be able to get back into spec. Your front tries would have an outrageous positive camber. Getting the 3" spring into the new upper control arm was a PITA all by itself. I ended up having to use an eight foot crow bar (I lovingly call it the "persuader") and have a friend slowly jack up the lower control arm. Once I finally got it set into place (roughly 2 hours later, per spring) I then had to use a smaller crow bar to wedge out the larger one. With that said, trying to get a 4" total spring lift into the STOCK upper control arm would be quite a job... I can only imagine. What you have to keep in mind is that when you are using larger springs and spacers with the stock control arm, you are only pushing the lower control arm away from the upper control arm at an angle which it wasn't intended for. This is why you get the terrible camber situation. The new upper control arm made by Fabtech compensates for this angle, allowing you to lift it and remain in spec.

Can you do the lift you were talking about? Sure. Would you want to? Only if you like self-punishment. You will burn through tires more often than engine swaps are talked about in this forum. If you want a reliable, dailt driver setup after you do this lift, either do the leveling kit they provide, or do the full suspension lift they provide. I am not trying to **** in your corn flakes, but I am trying to save you a big hassle.

Old 03-03-2007 | 01:25 AM
01dakota
Rookie
Default RE: A couple questoins on tires and a lift..

10/4, well understood and thank's for knocking some scence into me. It is very much appriciated. I guess I'll have to save my pennies and go with the 3" or a 4" suspension lift when time allows. If any of you ever pass by my house and see me selling lemon aid in the yard can ya stop buy and buy a cup. That would be appriciated also.
.[sm=hiya.gif]

Quick Reply: A couple questoins on tires and a lift..