2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

To anyone thinking about cutting off the cats....

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 08:32 PM
red9535
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To anyone thinking about cutting off the cats....

DO IT.

I got my muffler on a while back, and i was happy with it.. but it defintely still sounded like a v6. It wasnt very deep or grumbly.. an improvement over stock, but not really that loud either.

Well, today I decided **** it . Took it to the muffler shop, and got the cat cut off. Finally convinced him to do it - 40 bucks cash, no reciept. And let me tell you, it sounds SO much better. I've already had 3 people - 1 that had heard it before, and 2 that hadn't - tell me straight up that it sounded like a v8. Thats the way a truck is supposed to sound.

Now, heres the beautiful part. Normally when you cut the cats off, you konw the engine light is coming, until you get a spoof for the O2 sensor, right?

Well in this case, wrong. There was 1 big cat that he cut off, but turns out theres 2 smaller cats about 6 inches long right up by the engine, and thats where the O2 sensors are. So it will keep it plenty hot enough, so I dont have to worry about any O2 sensors or check engine lights coming on. And also, if i decide later that i want it to be louder, It can go louder by cutting those cats off too.

So, if your thinking about it... DO IT. Even if you guys are going to say "either way it still sounds like a v6 blah blah".. it is a huge improvement in sound.. This is the way a truck is meant to sound.

Sorry for the crappy quality of the video.. but trust me, it sounds pretty damn good. About a billion times better in real life.

Thanks for reading!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gThjaL8mF8E

Old 02-23-2007, 09:10 PM
f0x672
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: To anyone thinking about cutting off the cats....

that sounds badass... any noticable power increase/loss?

Old 02-23-2007, 10:36 PM
Ramrat
Professional

unfortunatnley in new york you need it on to pass inspection, but the books do not say it must be functional just in place, so here we just punch the ceramic out with a hot rod and put her back in, as to the other two you talked about, they are resinators, and I don't know how it would effect how she runs, but if you cut them out let us know how it turns out

Old 02-23-2007, 11:00 PM
DakotaMan
Veteran

That sounds just like my 3.9 dakota

Old 02-23-2007, 11:03 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Unfortunatley here in NJ the Cat has to be functioning in order to pass inspection so i cant do it, although i think that they just plug into the computer if i could find a way to do it and leave the O2 sensor intact in the pipe and the check engine light off i think it would pass, also i think that the guy who owned the truck before me did what ramrat suggested and somehow the cel is not coming back on so im not going to do anything about it

Old 02-23-2007, 11:14 PM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

o2 simulator...still dont like the idea tho...not so good for the truck in general

Old 02-23-2007, 11:15 PM
98Dodger4x4
Veteran

maryland law states you need a cat but it dont need to work. I want to gut mine and if the light comes on so what I will pull the bulb

Old 02-24-2007, 02:02 AM
red9535
Professional

Well, technically I still have 2 cats. Theres 2 little ones right off of the engine, then the 1 big one that I cut off. And as i said, the O2 sensors are in the 2 by the engine, so no CEL for me.

Yes, today I did get a very noticable power gain. Between cutting the cat off, which is basically just a honeycomb.. restrictive as hell.. and taking the 250 lbs of sand out of my bed since winters over, yeah. Slowly but surely, i'm waking the truck up. Done with exhaust work now, got intake done. I think next is a chip, then possibly some headers.

Old 02-24-2007, 02:16 AM
DakotaMan
Veteran

Do the headers before the chip...you will see more gain with them i think i had a Jet chip and it wasnt worth anything.

Old 02-24-2007, 02:19 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

well the inspection stations that are around me look for that kind of stuff too which means that they know if the O2 sensor from after the cat is missing so i need to have it in, need to have a wire going to it, and i need to have the cel off so im screwed at this point unless i find a way to do that but idk ill see what i can do and let you guys know

Quick Reply: To anyone thinking about cutting off the cats....