2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Cold Air Intake my A**

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 06:33 PM
BoeingMan
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cold Air Intake my A**

Reread the title to your post...you don't want to walk through certain parts of town and say that out loud.

[sm=noooo.gif][sm=noooo.gif]

Old 03-06-2007, 06:57 PM
DevilDog17
Professional

rtkota5point9 can you post a pic of your intake. You said it is behind the foglight. I am very interested to see how it looks and how it is designed. IGNORE I SAW THE PHOTO GALLERY

Old 03-06-2007, 09:25 PM
2000Dakotadriver
Rookie

I can see what rtkota5point9 is saying. As much as I would like to think my seat of the pants dyno probably is not as accurate as I would like to think it is. Although I also agree with virused throttle response did improve. Even if the hp gains were minimal.

Old 03-06-2007, 11:08 PM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

you can gain just as much with a good air filter and yes if you do get air from out of the engine yes you can gain up to 5-10 hp BUT you wont feel it...but yes they do sound neat and look nice

Old 03-07-2007, 02:06 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: imnothot02

you can gain just as much with a good air filter and yes if you do get air from out of the engine yes you can gain up to 5-10 hp BUT you wont feel it...but yes they do sound neat and look nice
I just need to get this straight. You are saying that you believe you will get the same hp gain from a drop in filter as you will with a complete CAI? I need to get some of the stuff you are smoking. Also, it seems in your above post that you don't even want 5-10 horses...like it is a burden for you.[sm=dontgetit.gif]

Old 03-07-2007, 02:26 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

Also, you might be interested in looking at the dyno chart below. This is from a member who purchased a new throttle body from fastman. Compare those gained hp/torque numbers to that of a CAI; then consider the money spent for both.

Old 03-07-2007, 07:44 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That dyno chart is hard to read.

So the fastman throttle body gained a bunch of low-end torque but over 3500rpm it was basically a wash, and it lost peak hp but gained a few above about 3800 and a lot under 3400?

What other mods does that motor have? Was it a chassis dyno doing a guestimate of flywheel, or an engine dyno?

Not bad numbers, but to me it honestly looks like the torque converter lockup happened a little lower on run 2 causing the much greater low-rpm curve, and from there it seems like pretty much a wash between the TB anda CAI.

Glad I only paid $100 for my FIPK.

Old 03-07-2007, 08:11 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: horatio102
What other mods does that motor have? Was it a chassis dyno doing a guestimate of flywheel, or an engine dyno?
I was surprised to see such a gain in the lower rpm range. Like you said, I assume there was a lockuperror of some kind as well on the first run. A larger Tb will always give you higher rpm gains, not lower. However, with the mods this truck already has (Owner is superdak05 in the gen3 forums) significant HP gains in the lower rpm range could be very possible:

206 Cams, PCM piggyback Jet stage2, catback exhaust, punched out cat, "iat adjuster", 93 octane, K&N intake.

I took this from here:
https://dodgeforum.com/m_633000/tm.htm(12/2/2006)

He most likely has done other mods since this post. For further infomation on his mods, contact him:
https://dodgeforum.com/showProfile.asp?memid=31284

Old 03-07-2007, 10:29 PM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

not a burden, but i havnt seen a cai that is a true cai on here, if it was you wouldnt want to use it except for nice sunny days on road, and for me that seems kinda silly...

Old 03-07-2007, 10:55 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: imnothot02

not a burden, but i havnt seen a cai that is a true cai on here, if it was you wouldnt want to use it except for nice sunny days on road, and for me that seems kinda silly...
Take the intake I installed on my Dak for example. It has a heat shield that seperates the filter from the hot air of the engine compartment. The only inlet for air, is the outside ambient temperature air that enters through the large opening over the wheelwell. Please explain to me how this is not a true CAI.

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake my A**