2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Cold Air Intake my A**

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 06:10 PM
1....MAVRICK
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cold Air Intake my A**

Now your talking............an experiment....I love experiments!!!!

You know we could sent this one to The Mythbusters......lol

Old 03-08-2007, 06:11 PM
rtkota5point9
All Star

Sounds awesome. It's 10* = 1HP though. Not 20. Too bad there wasnt a way to get the temp sensor INSIDE the intake tube near the TB and take a reading with the heatshield on, then with it off at X mph. But your test should show some goodnumbers too.

Old 03-08-2007, 07:08 PM
deranged
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry I'm late to this debate and I would like to know the results of your experiment virused. I think that the radiant heat in the engine compartment will probably heat up the air around the "cold air" filter even with a heat shieldjust as much or more as the air coming through the stock air box. I've thought of making a home brew CAI with the filter being located entirely outside the engine compartment but after pretty thoroughly studying it think that it is not worthwhile for a relatively insignificant gain. I'll just be satisfied with the drop in K&N I guess. If I was going to spend a couple hundred for performance gains I'd probably go for a larger throttlebody or performance muffler and not a CAI though.

Old 03-08-2007, 08:06 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

Just to clear up the matter of cost, I picked up the whole kit (K&N knock-off filter, 4" piping, enlarged throttle body air hat, heat shield, throttle body spacer with new gaskets and all hardware (free to anyone who wants it), all hardware, couplings and padding for less than $70 shipped. That is less than $20 more than just a drop-in K&N for our trucks. Just my $.02

Old 03-08-2007, 08:22 PM
DevilDog17
Professional

I would love to see this experiments numbers. It would be cool if you could get the temp of the air going into the plenum, but the numbers produced by virused should be a close estimate of the air temperature going into the plenum.

Old 03-08-2007, 10:15 PM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

yes this does sound like a good experiment, Ive always wondered myself!

Old 03-08-2007, 11:05 PM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just installed a CAI AEM 4" Tubing with heatshield and bigger air hat, the only diffrence to me is the sound of my exhuast, and the sound of the intake sucking in air. As for performace, meh i dont know ill let the dyno take care of that, but i also have a functional ram air hood, at high speeds air rushing through my scoops and blows out right on top of my filter. So i have a bity more air coming through instead of the stock fender crap.

Also Virus guess what! lol ill be getting my TB pretty damn soon. Maybe tomorrow nigjht depends on my pay check if not tomorrow night then 2 weeks from today. Then ill take it down and dyno it, and post my results. Its been a long time, but ive had some problems with work and bills and ****. I have to get sick with no insuance and end up paying 3k to the doctors.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:13 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

my dyno run was done on a chasy dyno with 20 degree temps outside. just did two pulls for ha ha. going to get more runs done when it is warmer outside. but as far as cai. i have the k / n fipk on my 05 dak and noticed a difference. much larger in diameter and hardly any restrictions. i also have the heat shield. but you are correct when the truck is sitting at a light and idleing the tube will get hot. no matter what. but a true cai. gets the air from outside . even though my filter sits in frt of the fender opening. it still will draw warm air at traffic lights. the only true way to get engine heat out of the compartment is by fender vents or some type of cowl hood. so unless there is piping from outside the engine compartment it really is not a true cai.or some type of hood that allows cooler air in. like the older chevelles and camaros did.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:19 AM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

thank you ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Old 03-09-2007, 01:22 AM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just install a tube that runs on dry ice or an intercoler