2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Cold Air Intake my A**

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 01:50 AM
Chris
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cold Air Intake my A**

Well, I have to go down the home depot this weekend and buy a couple of small, battery operated temp sensors. I enjoy the posts about this subject. I hope people realize that when I started posting in this thread, I wasn't trying to say people are right or wrong. I understand that a true CAI will be drawing outside, ambient air and that's all. However, to do this to our trucks, a new hood and other expensive mods will have to be purchased. My point from the beginning is that similar results (not exact) can be reached with the project I have done. I am eager to see some of the temp readings, as I have covered the intake tube, and sides of the heat shield in header wrap. I will test it at idle (30 minutes) and driving highway (30 minutes). We will see if this mod, as inexpensive as it is, is worth it.

User2006, good to see you, it has been a while. I can't wait to see the results. You have a nice truck brewing over there.

Old 03-09-2007, 02:19 AM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is the cold air installed

Old 03-09-2007, 02:27 AM
DevilDog17
Professional

Now that isa hot truck. Best of luck virused in this experiment and keep us posted with pics and descriptions. This experiment should put to rest the problems with or myths about Cold Air Intakes.

Old 03-09-2007, 02:43 AM
1....MAVRICK

Nice air hat user2006......that looks alot bigger than the stock one....

I wonder if one could use the A/C to somehow cool the air going in.....hhhmmmm.

Virused is it possible for you to put a temp. sensor inside the intake pipe without it touching the pipe ???
I think reading the temp. inside the tube would be more acurate.....then u just need to buy one sensor....
What do you think ???

Old 03-09-2007, 02:51 AM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Its the hat that comes with the AEM Intake kit, you cant use the old one its a 3" opening, this is 4" piping gota have a bigger hat.

Also im about to sell it off probably or give it away, after my tb, im going to get the K&N hat, the powerd coated black one with white chrome stripes.

but, ya..

My CAI made a diffrence. I was out messing around about 30 min ago, and it feels like a got better throttle response, also before i was running real rich, this seems to have made me run a bit more lean, im about to install some gauges so i can monitor this, i got a A/F, Vaccum, and Fuel Pressure im about to put in.

I would say the CAI is more of just a faster flowning item. Stock crap is way to complicated air slows down.. these make it go though faster and more at a time. More air = better performance even if it is still the same temp..

Another test is to take 2 intakes, one aftermarket and one stock, messure the temp on both and see witch ones puts down more hp, then change the temp of the CAI to a bit hotter then the stock one and see what you get..

Meh.. im babbling now.. ill stop.

Old 03-09-2007, 05:47 AM
Dak2

I might try out that setup you put on your truck Virused. Sounds like you've been pretty happy with it so far.
That heat shieldprobably helps toprevent the filter from drawing in too much warm air from the engine, but I guess it's unavoidable that it would heat it up a little unless you go with a setup like rtkota has.
Unfortunately that would be dangerous for offroading so it's not really an option for me.
As far as the air warming up inside the intake tube, even if that 4" tube does heat up, wouldn't the air be passing through the tube fast enough that it wouldn't have time to change temperature? I mean that tube can't be more than two feet long, so I'm assuming the air being fed into the intake would only spend a matter ofa second or twoinside the CAI.
Don't really know, but that seems to make sense to me.

rtkota - Those are some pretty sweet looking headlights you have on your truck.
Just wondering where you got them, and if replacing them has had any effect on the brightness of your headlights?

Old 03-09-2007, 01:13 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: 1....MAVRICK

Nice air hat user2006......that looks alot bigger than the stock one....

I wonder if one could use the A/C to somehow cool the air going in.....hhhmmmm.

Virused is it possible for you to put a temp. sensor inside the intake pipe without it touching the pipe ???
I think reading the temp. inside the tube would be more acurate.....then u just need to buy one sensor....
What do you think ???

I can do that later. The reason I am doing it in the first place is to measure the difference in air temp between the air that is protected from the heat shield, and the air that is not.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:41 PM
jk240sx
Professional

Y'all still don't have true CAI unless the filter is located outside the engine compartment. I had one on my 240. It has a snorkel that connects via silicone elbow to the intake tube which places the filter under the front 1/4 panel outside the engine compartment. I live in Florida so in the summer I would remove the CAI tube and have the filter installed under the hood. I also had a heat shield that seperated the filter from the engine bay. From my experience, in the winter the CAI had a gain. In the summer I actually lost power from heat soak, with or without the shield. On a side note, before I got the CAI extension tube I ghetto fabbed a 45 degree rain gutter elbow that would direct cold air to the K&N filter using existing whole in the engine bay. It worked!

Old 03-09-2007, 02:24 PM
rtkota5point9
All Star

My true cld air intake didnt cost anything besides a little extra piping. My tube runs over the battery and into the fender on the drivers side, then I cut a 4"hole in the plate that seperates the bottom of the fender from behind the bumper and put my filter right there behind the foglight. I'll take some pics sometime. Right now I'm using a plexible rubber tubing for the piping, but I'll eventually have it in metal as soon as I can find somone local that can bend 4" tubing.

Old 03-09-2007, 03:13 PM
deranged
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While changing the oil in my son's 96 Dakota this morning,I noticed that his fresh air tube runs directly to the radiator support on the passenger side. It is the factory setup and has a baffle type enclosure to keep water and debris out of the intake but it is in the direct path of the air blast through the grill. Interesting that they changed the design on the second generation to air intake from the fenderwell area. Don't know if it would be because of less frontal areaof the grill or did they find there really wasn't that much of a performance advantage between the two locations?[sm=confused06.gif]

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake my A**