2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Engine swap Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 09:29 PM
CowboyUPDJC
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine swap Question

Hello All.
I am new to the board.
I have a 1997 5.2l Extended cab.

I am sure many have talked about engine swaps in the past.
Here is my question.
I am sure a 360/5.7l will damn near bolt in with little change.
How much perf upgrading will the stock electronics set up support? Will a stock 360 be supported with stock set up? WHAT other engines will swap into the truck.
What do I need to change if I put in a Hi Perf stroked/bored/cammed 360 block and heads from Jegs or some other catalog? what parts do I need to salvage from a 360 donor truck to match up to the 318 stock tranny and set up I have?
Is the 383 a small block and be able to go in with work?

Thats enough questions for now. Just trying to get a feel for what I can or cannot do.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:52 AM
Chris
Record Breaker
Default RE: Engine swap Question

Please do a search, as this subject is asked weekly and you will find all of your answers.

Old 03-09-2007, 04:18 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 360 and 5.7 are totally different motors. The 383 is a big block and imho a waste of time to swap in.

Are you really interested in spending $10k+, or are you just dreaming out loud here?

Old 03-09-2007, 02:47 PM
CowboyUPDJC

Ok,
I went back and looked...ALOT

I see the swap questions and info on the board.

I misprinted in the first post I mean 360/5.9l not 5.7.

Decision is made after reading all that. 360/5.9 is the way I am going.
I see I have to use the flexplate and damper for the 5.9, external balanced.
Couple questions easy to answer for you...the experts...

1. What year 360/5.9 will direct swap in?Full size Ram 5.9 same as Dakota/Durango?
2. Will the belt pullies and torque converter on my 5.2 bolt right on to the 5.9 damper and flexplate? Belts line up?
3. Do I need to use the Sensors and sending units from the 5.2 so they match the ECU or do I need the 5.9 ECU? IF I need the 5.9 ECU will it swap right in and then I need to use the 5.9 sensors?
4. Now for the bigger question... How radical a bore/stroke/cammed 360/5.9 will the ECU handle?

THANKS FOR THE HELP!

Old 03-09-2007, 06:05 PM
rtkota5point9
All Star

If you're swapping it from a Dakota you're in trouble. When you do the swap, you'll need the PCM from the donor truck, only problem is, they didnt have an option for a 360 in the Dakota's until 1998. The speed sensors, and other are different in your 97 and will not work with the 98+ PCM The 98 PCM will probably not work with your cluster either, just like a 98 cluster wont work in a 99, 99 in 2000, ect They're different. Also, if you're swapping out of an R/T, if the R/T had factory security (not all did, it was an option) and your truck does not, then even swapping in the PCM won't work. The truck won't start. You can't even swap say a 99 PCM with security into another 99 that didnt have it. It just won't start, it's part of the security.

So basically you're really gonna have to steal some parts off that donor truck. Hopefully the sensors will swap over. And if the cluster doesnt work right, then hopefully the donors will swap into it. Even if the cluster does work, it will throw a code because the mileage is stored in the cluster AND in the PCM. If they don't match you get a code and check engine light.

If you're swapping it out ofa RAM, that's a whole new can of worms. I'm not sure if the PCM will swap right in from that or not. I honestly have no clue about that.

GOOD LUCK!!

Old 03-09-2007, 07:51 PM
Twiztid
Veteran

There are a few differences all around. Not anything that cannot be dealt with though. If you are really serious and not just talking out loud about a dream you had, then I totally recommend this book http://www.amazon.com/Rebuild-Mopar-...713&sr=8-6It has more info about magnum motors then you will find posted anywhere. It doesn't go into "how to swap" a 5.2 for a 5.9, but does go into detail about the differences between the 2. Also, not mentioned in the book, but I have talked to several mopar guys and all recomend that if your going to swap out to the 5.9l, also swap out to the 46RE tranny (that is of course if you have an auto). which as far as mounts is the exact same as far as I can tell.

I am planning on doing this same project in the future, I just bought myself a complete 5.9L. I wont be starting till august or so when i move in my new house, but maybe in the future we can trade ideas.

Old 03-09-2007, 09:32 PM
CowboyUPDJC

ORIGINAL: rtkota5point9

If you're swapping it from a Dakota you're in trouble. When you do the swap, you'll need the PCM from the donor truck, only problem is, they didnt have an option for a 360 in the Dakota's until 1998. The speed sensors, and other are different in your 97 and will not work with the 98+ PCM The 98 PCM will probably not work with your cluster either, just like a 98 cluster wont work in a 99, 99 in 2000, ect They're different. Also, if you're swapping out of an R/T, if the R/T had factory security (not all did, it was an option) and your truck does not, then even swapping in the PCM won't work. The truck won't start. You can't even swap say a 99 PCM with security into another 99 that didnt have it. It just won't start, it's part of the security.

So basically you're really gonna have to steal some parts off that donor truck. Hopefully the sensors will swap over. And if the cluster doesnt work right, then hopefully the donors will swap into it. Even if the cluster does work, it will throw a code because the mileage is stored in the cluster AND in the PCM. If they don't match you get a code and check engine light.

If you're swapping it out ofa RAM, that's a whole new can of worms. I'm not sure if the PCM will swap right in from that or not. I honestly have no clue about that.

GOOD LUCK!!
You are saying that just putting the 360/5.9 long block into my 97 using all the '97 5.2 electronics and sensors will not work? Next is why not? What specifics make this not work?

Old 03-10-2007, 12:13 AM
rtkota5point9
All Star

The fuel and timing is going to be different for the 2 engines, so the PCM will need to be swapped, which raises more compatibility issues because then the cluster really won't work right (unless the engine is out of a ram of the same year... then maybe) because the clusters changed in 98. Also, like I said, the speed sensor is different, so that will have to be swapped, if it can even be swapped right out. It can be done, I'm not saying it can't. And I'm sure there are relatively simple fixes for most of these problems. It's definatly gonna be an adventure.

If you just swapped the motor out, would it run? Probably. Would it run right? Probably not. Until you take care of some issues. If you had a 98, it would be a lot easier, because they had dakotas that came with 360's that year, so everything would swap out, but things changed from 97 to 98-up, so you're probably gonna run into some bumps in the road.

Old 03-10-2007, 12:25 AM
CowboyUPDJC

OK,
Now this is really beginning to SUCK!!
Will the electronics and PCM from my 97 work for a built up 318/5.2?
Bore and cam the 318/5.2 to get more HP then maybe an aftermarket PCM?

Has anyone swapped out this years 5.2 for a 5.9?
IF this cannot be done without MAJOR electronics issues then it looks like I have a LONG road ahead and many changes to my direction for more power!
I was looking at the 5.9 for ease of swap and access to parts.
If this is not that easy then i guess it might be time to look at something radical!!??

Old 03-10-2007, 12:45 PM
rtkota5point9
All Star

One thing you can do is look into a Flash. Call up B&G and see what they say about it, then maybe you can just swap in the engine and flash your PCM to work with it.

But you can make some great numbers with your 318. Swapping engines will only gain you about 20HP. And almost anything that can bolt to a 360, will bolt to your 318, so aftermarket parts aren't a big deal. Hell, you could just get it bored out to a 383 and get a flash and you'd be stylin.

Look into it further though, keep researching, and make some phone calls. I'm sure it can be done. Swapping engines just isn't like it used to be though.

Quick Reply: Engine swap Question