2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

HOW TO: Make the O/D default to OFF on start

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 07:03 PM
rtkota5point9
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOW TO: Make the O/D default to OFF on start

Alright, I was requested to come up with a way to do this on another forum, so I did, and thought I would share this with everyone else here.

This will default the O/D to off as soon as you turn your key to Ignition, and it will stay off when you start the truck. No need to hold it in the ignition position for any amount of time, just start the truck normally.

- The relay is just a 30A SPDT relay found at any automotive store. The wires connect to the pins just as there pictured in the diagram if you're looking at the bottom of the relay.

- The capacitor is just a regular Electrolytic NON-polorized 330-400uF (Micro-farad) fixed capacitor. Get it as close to 330uF as possible, but anything between there and 400uF will act roughly the same. Radio shack will have this part, in fact even a stereo shop will have one most likely. But they will call it a "bass blocker" or high-pass filter, but they should have one in that range. Worse case, if they don't have specific farad readings on them tell them you need a High-Pass filter for around 100-120Hz. But you should just be able to find one at radioshack.

- The resistor is a simple 1k (1,000) ohm fixed resistor. You should find this no problem at radioshack.

Personally I always turn my Overdrive off as soon as I get in until I need to go over 45-50MPH, and I hate pressing the damn button everytime. So... hopefully this will come in handy for people on here. I'm gonna be doing this on my own truck shortly.

Old 03-14-2007, 07:05 PM
Chris
Record Breaker
Default RE: HOW TO: Make the O/D default to OFF on start

Thank you for the write-up. Let me know when you do it to your truck, how it works out, and the reliability. If all is good, I will move it into the DIY section for our trucks.

Old 03-14-2007, 07:46 PM
rtkota5point9
All Star

Cool! And I'll post any feedback from the guy I drew this up for. See how his works out and everything. I made a mock up on the bench and it seemed to work great, so we'll see.

Old 03-14-2007, 09:12 PM
craigstockman
Rookie

Hey im kinda stupid when it comes to this stuff but can you explain in words a bit more on your other post on how to make the headlights come on with the door lock/unlock remote? if at all possible. Thanks

Old 03-14-2007, 10:13 PM
rtkota5point9
All Star

Umm... Is there a particular part you're having trouble with? If you look at the bottom of a relay, it will look just like the picture, with the 5 pins in the same spot. So the wires will hook up just like they're drawn. Then you basically just hook them to the wires they say in the truck. It's kind of hard to explain in words I guess.

Old 03-14-2007, 10:18 PM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

yes, this would be nice sometimes!

on a side note, if you don't understand electrical work, have a friend that does do it, its not something to just "trial and error"

Old 03-14-2007, 11:10 PM
rtkota5point9
All Star

/\ /\ /\ /\ /\ - Very True And stay away from anything under the dashwrapped in a yellow tubing, or yellow connectors!

Old 03-14-2007, 11:28 PM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

haha oh yea and NO GNIKCUF test lights

Old 03-15-2007, 12:27 AM
Twiztid
Veteran

LOL, no opinion on the mod, but where does everyone live that they even drive under 45-50? We do that on side roads here in california.

Old 03-15-2007, 12:30 AM
rtkota5point9
All Star

Well up here in Maine, we don't have many roads that aren't side roads. And when I'm cruising in town, I never get over 40

Quick Reply: HOW TO: Make the O/D default to OFF on start