2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

P0420 code- Cat?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 09:15 PM
dakotadano
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question P0420 code- Cat?

We just bought a 2001 Dakota for my son & to make a long story short state inspection failed it for emmisions witha P0420 code. Our mechanic, who I fully trust, says its a CA truck (we live in NJ & Carfax has it originally being sold in NJ) & has a 3 Cat system which the dealer sells as a set for about $1300. 2 questions; could the code mean anything else is wrong besides the Cat & does anyone know of anybody who make a complete aftermarket Cat rig for this. thanks

Old 06-09-2009, 10:22 PM
mact
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in CA and just bought a used Dak 97 sold new in CA and it is a Federal car...cost extra to register in Cali.

Not legal in California...but maybe in Joisey...

install a cut-in cat. About $60-75 parts and maybe $50 labor for welding. check with a muffler shop. You'd need to be sure you use an OBDII compatible cat. (I think). Should not exceed $200 I should think, unless the state code says it is illegal.

then look for the part in online sources. BMW's cat for an 84 is $2500, online abotu $1300. ZCut in, $150 (and because it is so old, not illegal here)

look at rockauto.com and USAparts.com

such a fix is not legal here any more.

Last edited by mact; 06-09-2009 at 10:27 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:11 AM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What motor in the 01?

2 of the cats are resonatores and you have one MAIN cat after the ypipe, and 2 small ones on the downpipes of the y pipe.

You can try cleaning off the o2 sensors and then re installing them, or depending on what type of motor, you might get away with strapping the rear o2 sensor to the frame just to get the code to go away and get it inspected and then fix it.

I run a high flow cat on mine from magnaflow, and i have my rear o2 sensor strapped to the frame so i wont get any codes... as long as the rear o2 reads diffrent from the front o2 it will be fine.. the rear o2 just lets the pcm know your cat is functioning correctly.

another thing to do is hit each cat with a rubber mallet if they rattle on the side or making clinging noises... they are shot and need to be replaced.. you can buy aftermarket cats and oem cats everywhere for these trucks.. the name brand muffler makers useally make them. Flowmater, Maganflow, Spintech, Flopro, Borla, ect...

my cat cost me about 80$ new but it is aftermarket and a high flow used for performance. I think the OEMS are bit more expensive.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:02 AM
dakotadano
Angry dealer says its 50 state Cat

Just had dealer check VIN & he says its a 50-state Cat, but said that doesn't necessarily mean its a CA truck, which doesn't make sense. They want $1255 for it. Unfortunately I don't know that I have an option because anything else might not be OBDII compliant.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:45 PM
User
Champion

Originally Posted by dakotadano
Just had dealer check VIN & he says its a 50-state Cat, but said that doesn't necessarily mean its a CA truck, which doesn't make sense. They want $1255 for it. Unfortunately I don't know that I have an option because anything else might not be OBDII compliant.
Dont listen to the dealers bullcrap... 1255 is an outrageous price... OUTRAGEOUS!

Hell you can even go to junk yards and see if you can find a better cat.

But really just search google for Dakota Cats and you will find a replacement... might as well get a catback exhaust system also... even then it will still be cheaper then what the dealership wants...

I put Mopar PPH Mid Length Headers on my truck (Ceramic Coated) 2.5" Ypipe (Ceramic Coated), High Flow Cat, Spin Tech Muffler, and Side exit tips, and after installed... i only paid 883$ for everything... so them charging you just for the cat 1255... is stupid... when you can put on a better performance FULL exhaust system for cheaper.

Old 06-10-2009, 02:10 PM
kev2
Veteran

lets take some time to work this
eng size?
first vehicle is STOCK? YES/NO
In the engine compartment is the emissions placard, often on radiator support...will tell if fed or calif ....next if you can find the RPO LABEL (Glove box?) will list all options...finally a dealer can print the info just needs the VIN.

cat effecency codes may or may not require a new cat...will need a scanner to view waveforms from sensors...reason for "STOCK" question

PS cats have an extended warranty ck owners manual .... milage?

ck your PM private messages-

Last edited by kev2; 06-10-2009 at 03:13 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:42 AM
dakotadano
Default 6 cyl engine - 50 state emission

It is stock as far as I can tell, we just bought it used. It has a 6 cyl, 3.9L engine. The label on underside of hood says it 50 state campliant, but not specifially that its a CA truck. Dealers looked up VIN & said same thing, that it doesn't mean its a CA truck. I really doubt now that it is because according to Carfax it was originally purchased from a dealer in South jersey. Taking it to a shop to have checked out further now. Not having them do anything til it worked out (paid for) by the guy we bought it from. Long story

Old 06-11-2009, 10:21 PM
dakotadano
Default 50 state CAT

Well found out today it does have a Cat that's good in all 50 states which means there is NO aftermarket one for it, as I really already figured since I spend hours & hours looking for one online. Gee why do you think Dodge would sell a truck in Nj with a 50 state Cat on it, simple they're the ONLY ONES you can get it from.
Oh well, got the guy I bought it from to give us $900 towards the new one & our mechanic is putting it on for free (though I obviously know he is paying less than the dealer price of $1255 for it) At least my son will have a new one with a 5 yr 50K warranty. We also got the truck for a good price & its in excellent shape other than the Cat.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:21 AM
User
Champion

Glad you got it worked out, and you didn't have to spend anything from your wallet.

Quick Reply: P0420 code- Cat?